Powered By Saaraan

Paganism FAQ?

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:03 am

Original post: Blue Starthief

Hi all--

I need to write up a general FAQ for Paganism to hand out as a way of promoting my campus' Pagan organization. If you were to write/read this flyer, what questions would you want to see? Also, how would you answer the following:

What is Paganism?
What is Wicca?
What is magick?

Thanks for your help,
Blue
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:35 pm

Original post: Anubis RainHawk

[QUOTE=Blue Starthief]

What is Paganism?
[/QUOTE]A group of religions that are niether Christian, Jewish, or Islamic, usually worshipping multiple deities and practicing some form of magick.

[QUOTE=Blue Starthief]
What is Wicca?
[/QUOTE]A nature based, NeoPagan spirituality centered around dual deities-The Goddess and The God. Wicca is usually described as modern Witchcraft as it is a revivial of ancient pagan holidays, deities, and themes.

[QUOTE=Blue Starthief]
What is magick?
[/QUOTE]Magick is the art and sience munipulating psychic forces to project one's will to create change in the internal or external environment.

Anubis RainHawk
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 pm

Original post: Hairetikos

[QUOTE="Blue Starthief"] What is Wicca? [/QUOTE] To be a bit more specific than Anubis RainHawk, Wicca is technically a religion. Not just a practice. It was founded by Gerald Gardner sometime in the 1950's.
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:07 pm

Original post: Panu Nahka

[QUOTE=Blue Starthief]What is Paganism?[/QUOTE]
An umbrella term covering modern interpretation and practice of pre-christian, mostly European-oriented beliefs.

[QUOTE=Blue Starthief]What is magick?[/QUOTE]
Act of changing reality by the force of will. Literally The Art, for reality is the canvas on which it is painted.
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:17 am

Original post: Anubis RainHawk

[QUOTE=Hairetikos]To be a bit more specific than Anubis RainHawk, Wicca is technically a religion. Not just a practice. It was founded by Gerald Gardner sometime in the 1950's.[/QUOTE]
You're competely correct! I should have put spirituality rather than practice. I should change that.
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:07 am

Original post: Hangatyr 13

What is Paganism?

An umbrella term for a group of Eath-based, polytheistic reconstructions of old religions or aspects of those old religions that were practiced generaly in Europe, West Asia, and North Africa until they were replaced by Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, and their practice was, for the most part, ended.

What is Wicca?

A Pagan, Earth-centered, originally mystery religion founded in the early twentieth century by Gerald Gardener based on cerimonial magick, medieval witchcraft, and the reconstuction of aspects of the old pagan religions.

What is Magick?

The art and science of utilizing the subconcious and energies inherent in the world, focused through the will, to cause changes in reality.
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:11 am

Original post: lord_dragool

i would drop the what is wicca since its only a segment of paganism.

concentrate on why people choose paganism instead.

i know this since ive delivered talks etc on it.
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Paganism FAQ?

Postby Occult Forum Archive » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:37 pm

Original post: martin

"What is Paganism? "

It's a very difficult one to answer as most of the practitioners of the spiritualities that are now considered "pagan" wouldn't have considered themselves "pagan" at the time! The modern sense of the word does seem to be an umberella term for all things other than mainstream religion, which is probably closest to its original meaning in spirit.

However, we have a situation where people claim things like "all witches are pagan but not all pagans are witches", which is technically untrue - not all witches are pagan by any stretch of the imagination, in fact many traditional witches will say they are anything but pagan. Indeed, the Roman "pagans" quite happily executed witches! It is also wrong to say all pagan religions are polytheistic, beause they aren't, some are montheistic, some are pantheistic. To be honest it's a question I wouldn't want to have to answer, or even able to answer, because like so many things it mean such different things to different people.

FFFF
Martin
Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Return to Religous superstitions, Folk traditions and Lores