Powered By Saaraan

The Wizard & the Witches:John Dee, Salem, & Pendle

Writings, poetry and oration, words, books and wordsmiths.

The Wizard & the Witches:John Dee, Salem, & Pendle

Postby Asruthr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm

The witch-trials which took place in both Pendle and Salem are infamous.

There are many theories as to the causative factors of both trials. Few draw any comparison between events and seek any link between the two towns. In my new work, I present a study which asks the questions that others are afraid of: what linked the two towns during the seventeenth century? Were any of the accused witches? What is it about Lancashire and Massachusetts which attracted such individuals and contributed to events? Why was John Dee in Lancashire? What role did Dee have?

Through a series of historic investigations, undertaken with a depth of occult expertise unrivalled in other historic studies, I probe deep into the mysteries of Pendle, Salem, and John Dee and reveal answers that others are afraid to consider.

The huge, 280,000-word study is available in its complete form, or as separate parts I, II, & III. Paperbacks are available from Amazon in all markets:

The Complete Study:
Amazon US: http://a.co/78WURHw $34,99
Amazon UK: http://amzn.eu/8PhY98T £26,99

Part I: the Witches of Pendle
Amazon US: http://a.co/1x2Q2Un $17,99
Amazon UK: http://amzn.eu/9izSmca £13,99

Part II: the Witches of Salem
Amazon US: http://a.co/h0OtWJo $22,99
Amazon UK: http://amzn.eu/1RTL7jP £17,99

Part III: the Wizard John Dee
Amazon US: http://a.co/hadEdGK $17,99
Amazon UK: http://amzn.eu/bmVrmUJ £13,99
Asruthr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Wizard & the Witches:John Dee, Salem, & Pendle

Postby violetstar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Some of your ideas presented are interesting though it is easier to believe the Salem Trials were constructed from the religious zeal of English Puritans who migrated into Massachusetts early in the 17thC. Though migration into the area dwindled by the time of the Salem Trials the Puritanical belief in the Devil and his servants the witches,had already been installed and was firmly in the mind of the populace there.

Fuelling the fires was also Thomas Potter’s Wonderfull Discoverie of Witches in the Countie of Lancaster (1613) which was influential in both Pendle and Salem Trials. https://msu.edu/~shahfaiz/Salem/religion.html

Generally speaking the most important connection between Pendle and Salem was the admission of legal testimony by a minor in the former trials, which set the precedent for the latter.For me,thats where the link ends as though as in all such Trials there are both aggravating and mitigating circumstances to consider,I find difficulty in accepting Ley lines and John Dee as forming or influencing the events.
Self-love only is the eternal all pleasing, by meditation on this effulgent self which is mystic joyousness-AOS
violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby violetstar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 am

Edit.That should read : Fuelling the fires was also Thomas Potter’s Wonderfull Discoverie of Witches in the Countie of Lancaster(1613) which was highly influential in the Salem Trials.
Self-love only is the eternal all pleasing, by meditation on this effulgent self which is mystic joyousness-AOS
violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Asruthr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Read the study and you will find that the role of Puritanical theocracy is assessed, as are the testimonies of the younger family members in both trials.

Although the role of Puritans in both Pendle and Salem is instrumental, it is merely a factor, rather than an overarching cause. If anything, the Puritan link further provides a link to the work of John Dee -- as is evidenced in my study. The role of Puritans is assessed in depth and it is notable that many Puritans involved, in both trials, cautioned against the belief in witchcraft and the prosecution of the accused -- thus, effectively dismissing the assignment of Puritanical zealotry as the main causative factor. The work of Pott's is also assessed, alongside other significant texts, such as James I's 'Daemonologie' and the works of both Cotton and Increase Mather, which had an influence on the trials. I also provide an investigation into the effects of conflict, religious turmoil, disease, population growth, and the Little Ice Age.

The study is wide-ranging and covers every possible cause for symptomology of the afflicted, the statements of witnesses, the causes of accusations, and the motivations for prosecutions. The links between Pendle and Salem are assessed and clarified, and the influence of Dee is made clear.

*For what it is worth, ley-lines are merely considered as part of the in-depth investigation. Your assumption that I posit them as a link between Pendle and Salem is erroneous as you have clearly yet to read the study. Upon doing so, you will find that I dismiss ley-lines as a factor.
Asruthr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby violetstar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Asruthr wrote:Read the study and you will find that the role of Puritanical theocracy is assessed, as are the testimonies of the younger family members in both trials.

Although the role of Puritans in both Pendle and Salem is instrumental, it is merely a factor, rather than an overarching cause. If anything, the Puritan link further provides a link to the work of John Dee -- as is evidenced in my study. The role of Puritans is assessed in depth and it is notable that many Puritans involved, in both trials, cautioned against the belief in witchcraft and the prosecution of the accused -- thus, effectively dismissing the assignment of Puritanical zealotry as the main causative factor. The work of Pott's is also assessed, alongside other significant texts, such as James I's 'Daemonologie' and the works of both Cotton and Increase Mather, which had an influence on the trials. I also provide an investigation into the effects of conflict, religious turmoil, disease, population growth, and the Little Ice Age.

The study is wide-ranging and covers every possible cause for symptomology of the afflicted, the statements of witnesses, the causes of accusations, and the motivations for prosecutions. The links between Pendle and Salem are assessed and clarified, and the influence of Dee is made clear.

*For what it is worth, ley-lines are merely considered as part of the in-depth investigation. Your assumption that I posit them as a link between Pendle and Salem is erroneous as you have clearly yet to read the study. Upon doing so, you will find that I dismiss ley-lines as a factor.

My comments were not intended as any form of attack but rather that I find difficulty in the association of John Dee with the trials.I am possibly more interested in your work than the average bunny and I thrive on new approaches to old problems.
The interior of your books are very well presented but the previews on Amazon are rather scant so it would be helpful if you could outline the key points of your arguments so others may assess how far your postulations are historically realistic and the extent of unprovable conjecture that form the framework of what is essentially a revisionist attempt to fill in the missing gaps.

This may also help to explain how in a "series of historic investigations, undertaken with a depth of occult expertise unrivalled in other historic studies",this methodology was employed.It may also explain why scholars past and present failed to come across the elements that you posit as contributory factors in both cases cited.
violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Asruthr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 am

Your comment was certainly in no form an attack. It merely gave the wrong impression as to the cconclusions drawn by the study in relation to ley-lines.

The previews on Amazon are rather extensive -- far too much for my own liking as they provide far too great a number of pages in my opinion, but then I am the author.

My criticism of other studies is largely aimed towards those historians who have penned works concerned with the witch-trials in both Pendle and Salem. The overwhelming tendency is towards a dismisall of the existence of any occult knowledge, with the bias towards the assignment of a socio-political causation for the trials. My analysis works to illustrate that such is merely one of many factors, whilst also highlighting the depth of occult knowledge that is extant with the records of both trials. Historians who have written about John Dee, such as Frances Yates, have displayed a greater degree of acceptance as to the role of the occult. My analysis highlights the aspects which connect Dee to both events in Pendle and in Salem, whilst also making clear where there evidence is lacking and I too am forced towards conjecture in some parts. Given the level of secrecy to which Dee aspired, then it is however unsurprising that there are gaps in the historic record. Such is furthered by the loss of some of his papers. What I do make clear however are the links, the evidence, and that which is highly suggestive. The theory I posit is thus partially evidenced, partially conjectural. It is however no more based on conjecture than other theories widely accepted by academics.

I shall refrain from outlining further detail about the work here. The purpose of this post was merely as an FYI for those who may find the study of interest. It has served its purpose for myself and has opened up some intriguing further lines of inquiry for myself in future.

BTW -- I do enjoy your blog Violetstar.
Asruthr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby violetstar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:21 pm

In recent years academia has seen increased tolerance and indeed interest in Occult studies.Scholars such as Egil Asprem,Frank Klaassen,Francis Young and others have a specific lean toward what has as you say been neglected in past investigations.Some are even practitioners themselves but for various if not obvious reasons keep their private lives under wraps.

I do not think your study needs to be limited to your own further lines of enquiry.More so,it is the conjectural element of it that is more of interest to me than the generally accepted views which I have seen so many times.Along those lines there is an interesting study of the Somerset trials in England 1664/5 that utilises input from scholars alongside evidence based conjecture gleaned from actual field work.http://www.freewebs.com/bornofsilence/This study is well respected and has been cited within witchcraft studies published by the prestigious(and expensive)Palgrave.

I myself submitted some information to that investigation and it would be hypocritical for me to suggest your study is of any less value.In fact the opening of new lines of enquiry into the trials rather excites me to the point I have decided to purchase your full study volume.Some things I cannot resist especially where the Devil is involved!
violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Return to The Pen and The Poet