Powered By Saaraan

Dream recall 101

Dream recall 101

Postby Marshal Law » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Here you will find a simple, but very effective dream recall practice. It is important to practice it on regular basis, each day or as many times as possible. This technique will work as a self-hypnosis through meditation method, don’t worry it is really simple. And do note that if you will develop your meditation skills it will greatly increase the rate you can get into meditative state, focus and many other good things.

Preparations

For starters be sure to have a tidy work space, get into comfortable position (bed is my equipment of choice) were you will feel comfortable over the experience. You will have to get following items:
- Dream Diary/Book of Shadows
- Working pen
- Good mood
- 0.5l glass of water – drinking before sleep will increase your chance to wake up in the middle of the night and in that state it will be easier to remember the dream.

If there are some possible distractions, consider obtaining:
- Ear plugs
- Sleep mask to cover the light

Getting into the state

Drink the water that you have prepared. Lie down in your work spot, relax for 2-3 minutes, think, what you have done all this day, experience it again if you wish. Then if you feel calm, lift your arms above your head and tense all your body from toes to face muscles and then relax. Now you can change your position so you would be:
- On your back
- Legs straight and down
- Hands beside your hips
- Your body is straight
- You can use a small pillow, but remember to keep your body straight (not like a plank, but you get the point)

Now start noticing your breathing, take deep and slow breath in through your nose, hold it for 2 seconds and slowly exhale it out through your mouth. Imagine all the tension and worries going away each time you exhale. After 30s-1min continue to normal breathing and notice how you start taking in less oxygen and time between inhales has increased. Now put your focus to your toes and relax them as much as you can and move up your body calmly and slowly relaxing every cell in the body. Most people make mistake by not relaxing their jaw or muscles just around the eyes or they still keep moving the eyes (best gaze at one point just below the place where your eyebrows meet), it is very important to be completely relaxed, focus straight on the objective and that is relaxation at the moment.

When you have totally relaxed your body, stay calm for 2-5 minutes, try to be totally passive, don’t move even if you need a scratch, the body is checking if you are asleep. Then start giving strong, but calm truths (say it in your head, but you have to believe in it), “I am completely relaxed” wait few seconds and say “Every cell in my body is completely calm and relaxed”. And each time you say it you can feel how your body is going numb if it is not already. The say to yourself “I am going deeper, deeper, deeper.” And with every word “deeper” you feel that you start sink, deeper and deeper into the state. Now you are in the right state of mind, were your mind can be programmed to have good dream recall. Start saying these truths in your mind “I remember my dreams”, “I remember all my dreams”. Words can’t be just words, they have to have meaning, feeling to it, show the universe that you want it, but try to stay calm. Continue it for 2-5 minutes, then relax, you can drift into sleep from there or just gently change sleeping position and travel to the land of dreams.

When you wake up, memorize everything you can and quickly write everything into your dream diary or book of shadows, study it after wards, some dream might show your problems some might show something else. Go back to sleep or start the day. It is down to experience to develop what it means and opens up for you.

This is first time I am participating in a community, constructive criticism please. O0
The human brain. It is a Pandora's box of creation itself.
Marshal Law
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Dream recall 101

Postby ne1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Since you asked for constructive criticism, I will give some feedback.

ON THE WRITING STYLE
Each of your three “How to” posts in this section of the forum show a clear writing style. Your directions are broken down well and you have a nice progression of steps and concepts. What I don’t know, however, is the writing situation. Who are these directions for? Where (other than here) will they appear? Who is the audience?

The audience will determine how everything else gets phrased and the structure. By the style of writing and the basic level of the skills you are talking about, this would seem to fit in a “yahoo answers” or “wiki how” for the general public. In which case I would say, it’s fine, and in line with the common ideas. It repeats material often discussed in New Age materials.

If the audience, however, were an experienced occultist, such as many of those on OF, then there would be a number of issues with both the instructions and the assumptions behind such.

ON THE MAGICAL SIDE
In short, will it work? Yeah, probably. But not for the reasons you are thinking…

You have asked for feedback. There are many around here who could do so. But we would need to know who you are “talking” to, so to speak.
ne1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Marshal Law » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Cheers, I will check out posting post. :) I did not want to cramp all 3 past posts in one message so I posted them here. I did not know any books about the topic so I wrote how I did it, how it did work for me. And I do believe that it can work for anyone else, due to self hypnosis. [grin] But this is the topic that I am willing to explore as much as I can, but given the amount of information that I am receiving, it is really hard to keep up. But yea it was directed for the beginner who wants to get into lucid dreaming. And if a person can not remember them, this easy practice could surely assist. Thanks for your post! [thumbup]

But I have to disagree on
But not for the reasons you are thinking…
, self suggestion will do what it will say. For e.g. When I meditate sometimes my eyelids keep going up so I do same thing, I suggest myself that my eyelids are heavy and they wont go up until my meditation is finished. If I will take as truth, immediately I will not need to try keep my eyes closed and I will actually feel the heaviness increasing. :) Same goes for dream recall, its same as eyelids, its who we are.
Marshal Law
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby ne1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:57 pm

I did not know any books about the topic so I wrote how I did it, how it did work for me.

https://www.google.com/#q=lucid+dreaming+books&tbm=shop

But I have to disagree on
But not for the reasons you are thinking…
, self suggestion will do what it will say.

Okay, fine, but you didn’t SAY that outright in your posts. You focused on counting breaths and how clean your space was. The best teaching tools follow the KISS formula. Keep It Simple, Stupid .

The directions for self-suggestion are simple: In those moments when you are all relaxed before sleep, program a suggestion to your subconscious. Boom. Simple.

Where did all this half a glass of water and make sure you are in a good mood stuff come from? Where is the basis for these aspects of the "directions"? Personally I smoke, drink Mountain Dew like a fish, and love pepperoni pizza. Why do you have to be in a good mood? Dreamwalking to find “naughty” spirits when you are a bit pissed off is a great stress reliever.

Suggestion, yes, programming your brain, yes. But all the gobble-dey gook you have on eating right and water and having to remember things the moment you get up, none of THAT is about the self-suggestion.

Given the amount of information that I am receiving, it is really hard to keep up.

I have no doubt on the amount you are receiving quickly. ;) What you need to do is not get lost in the details of your understanding. Get to the core of things. Connect the dots. Lucid dreaming is only a step in a path of a whole different series of “magical” skills. It is a way to program the subconscious to manifest results in the dream space, and then from there outward. But in mucking up the works with a bunch of miscellaneous directives (without the clear acknowledgement up from of the idea of self suggestion… pft), you may miss out on where the skills lead.
The concept is simple:
In those moments when you are all relaxed before sleep, program a suggestion to your subconscious.

This means that once you begin to remember your dreams (which you can do through suggestion) then you can begin to self-program your dreams
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35446
And with practice lucid dream, dream walk, communicate with spirits, work on astral, increase creativity and intelligence, increase productivity, etc. The "power" is not in the ritual, it is in the suggestion, how the will is focused. Because while in the dream state the “conscious mind” is quieted (and thus so is doubt), learning to lucid dream to perform magical operations can have rather "interesting" results in terms of manifestation.

In short what I’m trying to say is that there is more coming, don’t over complicate the first steps.
ne1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Marshal Law » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I totally agree with you, but need to not to forget to whom this post was going to. It was a tip that i use. [thumbup]

You focused on counting breaths and how clean your space was.

Breathing helps to relax and bring the tension away so it can change your hearth rate.(That is a good boost getting into the state which brings self suggestion state easier). As for clean and tidy space it is important to note that your surroundings do affect you. Even the shape of the room affects the energetics around the work place. And it will help you be at peace, in a good mood and of course it will increase your energetic level. Also being in a good mood, I mean by not having bad emotions will help to have unneeded distractions removed. (as dreams can easily bring last days mood, what you where thinking and so on, that is how nightmares come, right?:D).

The directions for self-suggestion are simple: In those moments when you are all relaxed before sleep, program a suggestion to your subconscious. Boom. Simple.

It's just that your formula does not give the small details that I intended to give. Small details like keeping muscles around your eyes relaxed. They might not seem important into getting relaxed state for an experienced occultist, but trust me a starter would appreciate it as I did when I got tipped in the beginning.

Where did all this half a glass of water and make sure you are in a good mood stuff come from? Where is the basis for these aspects of the "directions"? Personally I smoke, drink Mountain Dew like a fish, and love pepperoni pizza. Why do you have to be in a good mood? Dreamwalking to find “naughty” spirits when you are a bit pissed off is a great stress reliever.

We covered the good mood. Glass of water makes you wake up for a piss, new people in this business can not wake them self up any time they want, if they do, I applause. I do realize that bad foods give lower energetics. And I know it is better to have good energy capacities instead of eating unhealthy food that will reduce your body capabilities. I wont even go into that more. But for example cannabis (alcohol, no comment) that is only drug I use, it can be ignored at more experienced levels, but it actually does reduce your REM. And you do know what that means. I do understand the point your making, and it is right, but it depends on who is receiving the information.

Suggestion, yes, programming your brain, yes. But all the gobble-dey gook you have on eating right and water and having to remember things the moment you get up, none of THAT is about the self-suggestion.

I never said that everything in this post going to be about self-suggestion.

I have no doubt on the amount you are receiving quickly. ;) What you need to do is not get lost in the details of your understanding. Get to the core of things. Connect the dots. Lucid dreaming is only a step in a path of a whole different series of “magical” skills. It is a way to program the subconscious to manifest results in the dream space, and then from there outward. But in mucking up the works with a bunch of miscellaneous directives (without the clear acknowledgement up from of the idea of self suggestion… pft), you may miss out on where the skills lead.

Aye, trying my best! [crazy] Totally agree only that its a step in a path and truly important one for a beginner, especially if he is interested in shamanism. I said my opinion about mucking. You cant miss out with good preparations. As by going through these directions and meditating not going a sleep I learnt to go into a dream while awake. Yes I am not leading someone in the direction that I know that might fail.

Thanks a lot for your constructive critisism, I will put into consideration all the points you pointed me out and I have already got something out of it, cheers. [thumbup]
Marshal Law
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Marshal Law » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Also, everyone has their own opinions on what is most important in their practices, I am just giving opportunity to see and maybe adapt some of the elements that I have used. :)
Marshal Law
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby ne1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I totally agree with you, but need to not to forget to whom this post was going to.

A very excellent point. I do not know my audience. :) Thank you for the correction :)

One of the reasons why your posts interested me is because I've been outlining materials myself on some of the things possible once the basic skills of lucid dreaming and self-programming dreams are practiced. One of the issues I've been having is that my version of "instructions" consists of statements like

In those moments when you are all relaxed before sleep, program a suggestion to your subconscious. Boom. Simple.

:) :) Yeah.... You are absolutely right. That is not going to help :) Any good teacher knows how to lead the student from where they are to where they need to be. And I am not being a good teacher in this. :) I have a great deal to learn about how things are practiced currently and would appreciate your assistance, if you are willing. I would like to hear more about your experiences and how these skills have assisted you in life.

Totally agree only that its a step in a path and truly important one for a beginner, especially if he is interested in shamanism.

Agreed to the interest in Shamanism (and where I picked up some techniques). I happen to use the skills in other ways (like "dream writing" papers in college ;) ). Overall a very interesting a complex topic

As by going through these directions and meditating not going a sleep I learnt to go into a dream while awake.

Very nice progress! Congratulations :)
ne1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Marshal Law » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:49 am

Good to know that not only me getting something out of this. These are only small things, but id say that title is misleading and i can not change it. It is not 101, i was still in different state (half sleeping) when i wrote it.

I have a great deal to learn about how things are practiced currently

I started getting into magick seriously only 1-2 years ago. But I had interest in it since I was a child, considering the fact of all those stories my grandmother and my black witch neighbor where talking about. It scared me for a bit, but it still had that charm. And then teenage years came, high school. Party party, girls, friends, fight and so. The the destruction of my powers started ( note that when I was a kid, I could manage to go out of the body without much of hard work). The destruction of my mind, body and soul finished when i hit 18s-19s. From then dropped alcohol and poisons like that. Started getting into more mind work, sports and magick, wicca was my starting point from there. Due to the fact that only scientists I knew where wiccan. So basically I do not know about how things are practiced, but I can give a tip time to time from my own experience. But if your looking for right terminologies and so on, I am not your person. :D

But I do know that monroe institute if im correct has pretty decent material on this topic, please correct me if I am wrong. :D ( I did borrowed few ideas in dream exercise from them, due to educational purposes ;DD)

Thanks again for your, help. For a minute there i though that noones gonna critic it.
Marshal Law
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby ne1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm

I started getting into magick seriously only 1-2 years ago….. But if your looking for right terminologies and so on, I am not your person. :D

Again, considering the short time that you have been focusing in practice, congratulations on your progress (it took me years to get to the dreaming while awake bit :) I've been working with dream work for about 16 years now). I don’t know if there are “correct” terminologies to this field at this point. It is, I think, an underdeveloped field which has a great deal of potential. But as both of our research may be showing, there is little out there on what it can be used for.

But I do know that monroe institute if im correct has pretty decent material on this topic, please correct me if I am wrong. :D ( I did borrowed few ideas in dream exercise from them, due to educational purposes ;DD)

I looked up the cite and can see where that “New Age” writing style came from. As far as their research goes, it depends on what you are looking for, I suppose. I have a tendency to value “peer reviewed” and “scholarly”, which means that I came at this topic overall through psychology and anthropology. So to me the sources you use are… eh :)

But perhaps there is something in the limits to both of our research into this, however. In other words, there is not much out there on what all these skills can do.

Let me give just one example of an entry level skill. Keep in mind that the brain actually remembers everything, every detail with all the senses, that you experience or think. “Forgetting” something is not a matter of the information disappearing but of the “bridge” or “hook” that would recall that memory to the conscious thought not connecting.

At the point of waking dream, for instance, your subconscious is in a highly suggestible state. If you can “consciously” program your “dream” of the subconscious, to visualize “connections” forming (thus bringing in Imagination), while suggesting to yourself that you are easing access to your complete memory (thus bringing in Will), then it is possible to increase your recall of information from the “inside out” so to speak (particularly, we’ve found, if the subconscious is also “rewarded” consciously). In other words, with simple suggestion in this state it is possible to increase your conscious productivity, intelligence, creativity, memory, “energetic” levels (including being able to “rest” without sleeping), etc.

Upon reflection, I do have a recommendation for your exercises. Many of those books on Google or internet sources would give directions, but not explain the why of their decisions. You have thought through these things, as your response to my comments showed. I would recommend that you also explain those choices to the audience. It will allow them to make educated decisions about their own preferences. From the sources I've read these explanations are often missing, it is based as if solely on the individual experience. I'd had to read a number of them to find the patterns of what the individual experiences had in common. You are giving suggestions based on specific reasons; if these explanations were also there, it would seem more "up front" to me.

But then it depends on where you would want to go with this. There are a number of different branches of possibilities. I’m not sure where your interests lie in this, but I’m interested in hearing more as you work with this, or any exchange of ideas. I think research into this field of magic has a great deal of potential, not only in terms of self-development, but also in terms of manifestation itself. So thanks for sharing :).
ne1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Nahemah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Stickied.Keep it coming folks,this is an excellent thread so far. [grin]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

"I'm either a fucking genius or a purple Volkswagen Jetta."
- GeriBot

We live in a RAI N B O W of Chaos.

Paul Cezanne
Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Return to Dreams and The Unconscious