Powered By Saaraan

Dark Night of the Soul

Unorganised, disorganised, heterodox or individual beliefs, ideas and praxis sharing.

Dark Night of the Soul

Postby manofsands » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 am

The "Dark Night of the Soul"...

... What do you think it really is... and...
If you think you've experienced it... what was it to you?
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

there is no need to push the river... it will flow on its own
manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Dark Night of the Soul

Postby chowderpope » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 am

I've wondered about that myself. I don't know for sure. I would think it'd be like a deep depression or hopeless sadness.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!
chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Desecrated » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 pm

manofsands wrote:what was it to you?

Me
Beginners Book List
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39045

Information Resources
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=36162

Fundamental Development
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=37025
Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Cerber » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Do you mind stupid question? What is that?
It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby manofsands » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 am

Cerber wrote:Do you mind stupid question? What is that?

What is the"Dark Night of the Soul"?

Well that's kinda what I was asking. There are many interpretations and I just wanted to get the communities take.

Some have talked about it as being set upon by mental demons, but usually it's described as a period of hoplessness set on by a loss of faith or what you had believed to be true. It has also been stated that it's a prequel to some kind of enlightenment... as ironic as that may sound to it's description.
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby jamesw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 am

While there are parallels at earlier stages of development, the dark night of the soul follows on from the inner initiation that requires self-control of thoughts. By this time the junior initiate is conscious of connection with the greater mind and able to call upon and receive inspirational assistance when required.

Now having entered the first stage of enlightenment the new initiate has to learn to make his/her own decisions. Contact with the greater mind and the various sponsors is cut off and the initiate experiences being quite isolated.

This experience makes the initiate much more self-sustaining, requiring neither guidance nor light in making decisions.

Eventually increasing heart functions restore the sense of inner community.
jamesw
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Cerber » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:45 pm

I don't recall anything like than. Maybe because I'm not "initiated"
It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby manofsands » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:04 am

jamesw wrote: ... the dark night of the soul follows on from the inner initiation that requires self-control of thoughts. By this time the junior initiate is conscious of connection with the greater mind and able to call upon and receive inspirational assistance when required...

Is this part of a ritual initiation or can it happen without one fully aware
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby manofsands » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:34 am

I was raised Christian.. and like many, slowly fell away from it in the light of more open spiritual beliefs. The pursuit of 'truth' always guiding me.

Then a couple years ago a change happened in me. I don't recall a catalyst. I didn't consciously initiate it. I remember first thinking something was happening in what some would call my root chakra. I have felt disconnected. Most of my spiritual/magical ideas flaked away til something approaching atheism remained. It felt like a cold grounding.

So, I'm either an atheist who is having trouble coping with the change, or I've shed most of my previous beliefs and am raw and open for a new look at things. (This is why I have another thread about "spiritual atheism" and trying to decide how to define where I am).

I don't know if there is more... or if I just want there to be more.

This is my Dark Night of the Soul
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby violetstar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

manofsands wrote:
jamesw wrote: ... the dark night of the soul follows on from the inner initiation that requires self-control of thoughts. By this time the junior initiate is conscious of connection with the greater mind and able to call upon and receive inspirational assistance when required...

Is this part of a ritual initiation or can it happen without one fully aware

In non-Adept terms this is best explained here:

Souls who begin to enter this dark night when God proceeds to lead them from the state of beginners proper, to those who meditate on the spiritual road, and begins to set them in that of the progressives, which is, at length, that of the contemplatives, to the end, that passing through this state, they may reach that of the perfect, which is the Divine union of the Soul with God.
— St. John of the Cross, The Dark Night of the Soul

In the Qabalah this is symbolised by the 25th Path and linked to gaining communication with the Holy Guardian Angel.The Dark Night is specifically personal rather than encountered via a group and will eventually present itself to any who genuinely dedicates to the Mysteries.The experience will always be transformational and permanent but expect hardship,loss or some form of suffering.
Self-love only is the eternal all pleasing, by meditation on this effulgent self which is mystic joyousness-AOS
violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby blindwake » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 pm

I think it's an analogy to loneliness. If you were wandering in the dark, as a single soul, I imagine loneliness would be what you'd feel.

It's the point of recognizing that it's up to you to take control of your own life. A transition from being led, to being the leader. All your days you've seen the sun (what you know), and the next logical progression is the night. Where everything you think to be true is no longer visible, or at least, no longer makes sense to you; you've lost touch with it.

I relate the dark night of the soul to the tarot card: "The Tower"
If the peak view of the tower is your ideology, the dark night of the soul is like jumping off of the tower and no longer being able to climb back up. It is change through suffering.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby Micr0cosM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 am

Then a couple years ago a change happened in me. I don't recall a catalyst. I didn't consciously initiate it. I remember first thinking something was happening in what some would call my root chakra. I have felt disconnected. Most of my spiritual/magical ideas flaked away til something approaching atheism remained. It felt like a cold grounding.

Manofsands, a very similar thing happened to me. It seemed to have been initiated by an experience of Satori that happened in my early 20's. I was very spiritual at the time but after that experience which should have just strengthened my spirituality the opposite happened. I became less interested in spiritual stuff and more interested in scientific stuff, and gradually became an Atheist. Then around 20 years later I had an epiphany which set me back on my path. I always consider that period as a Dark night of the soul.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Micr0cosM
Forum Member
Forum Member

Return to Individual Spirituality