Powered By Saaraan

Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds, etc.

Unorganised, disorganised, heterodox or individual beliefs, ideas and praxis sharing.

Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds, etc.

Postby blindwake » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 am

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with crossover between senses.

I've been trying to think of what exactly makes different sensory types seem so different; as if they're on separate spectrums.

For example, right now I'm thinking of colors as being on a color range, sound as being on a frequency range, taste as being on a range of all its individual components (sour, bitter, etc.), etc.
However, I find it slightly odd that the senses seem so discrete, especially when reality tends towards oneness for the most part.

So, I'm trying to figure out how I might put color, sound, smell, taste, etc., all on the same range.
It has occurred to me that I can break down most senses into groupings of smaller senses in order to show that they have similarities, but I'm not quite sure how I'd go a step further.

For example, I've found that if you can feel "soft" on multiple locations on your body, that means that "soft" must be paired with other meta-data otherwise it would feel the same no matter where something soft touched you. So, I can break down the touch experience of "soft" into "soft tactile experience" + "position". Likewise, sounds come paired with a perception of direction, so sound can be broken down into "sound experience" + "position". I think it's fair to say that experiences of the type sound, sight, smell, etc., all have a position, type (blue, green, high pitch, etc.), and intensity.

So, if they all have some common bits of data, what is it that separates the senses? If sound, for example, has a position and type, isn't it pretty easy to imagine it as a replacement for something like sight? If you imagined that you had an improved sense of the directions that sounds come from, and a better ability to gauge the differences in intensity between sound sources, wouldn't it be imaginable to have some area of sounds coming at you, and to be able to use that information basically exactly the same as light? The ability to to gauge direction would allow you to differentiate between many close sounds (like how you can differentiate between many close colors), and magnitude would function similarly to depth perception. (Note here, that I'm completely ignoring physics here, like speed of light vs sound, etc. I'm talking purely about experience as data here.)

If different sensory types can be used to represent the same types of data, what makes them seem separate? Or is that an illusion? Could you put them all on the same range?
Are different colors really more similar to other colors than they are to things like smell, touch, etc.? If so how did you identify similarity? (using the experiences alone, not wavelengths and stuff)
If colors, for example, are not more similar to each other than they are to other senses, does this imply that colors are equally as unsimilar to each other as they are to other sensory types?
If so, does this mean that senses cannot be ordered in a meaningful way?

Input would be appreciated. [grin]
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby the_spiral » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:41 am

It's called synaesthesia.

It's not really uncommon, although some people tend to experience it much more strongly than others.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra
User avatar
the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:46 pm
Location: svadhisthana chakra

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:33 am

I know. I was asking about what makes sensory experiences similar, not synaesthesia. I'm trying to think of a generic data type which might encompass all sensory experiences.
Someone with synaesthesia might have some interesting input. That was my primary interest.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:51 pm

I would say the common denominator would be 'waveforms', although I prefer to call them invisible snakes. There are different spectra as you say, i.e. the EM Spectrum has it Energetic Transverse Waves, and the Audio Spectrum it's longitudinal percussive Waves. Differing in speed of propagation and mechanics, one is energy and the other is percussive(disrupts the macrocosm), but both incorporate waveforms as core component.

The sense of smell would also operate as a waveform based phenomena(IR Range) if the Vibrational Theory of Olfactory is correct.

Of course there is also taste and touch which is more intimate being up close and personal. Maybe it could have something to do with Wave Particle Duality. Where the particles involved in the interaction become waveforms to relay the appropriate sensory information.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 am

Spida, that seems accurate, but I think it still slightly misses the mark.

We've simply translated from talking about experiences (color, taste, etc.) to numbers which represent experiences. While you are correct that certain wave types correspond to certain sensory experiences, it is left to be explained why. For that reason, it is my opinion that the waves are not the sensory experiences but an arbitrary "middle layer" of sorts to them.

Ex: Let's say we have a list of 4 images, and we want to draw these 4 images onto a 20 by 20 grid. It would be a waste of memory to actually store a copy of each image where it is in the grid. Instead, we can store a grid of numbers 1 to 4, and simply have each number correspond to one image. (We use indices rather than values)

Like the numbers being associated with the images, the waves are associated with the experiences. However, the numbers are not the experiences.

So, while we can find similarities between the waves / numbers, that's not what I'm looking for. I want to look at the value similarities. For example, the difference between each image. The trouble is that while an image is easy to break down into pixels / colors, other sensory experiences are not so easy to break down. It would seem that colors, taste, etc., are already broken down into their simplest forms.

However, that does not seem entirely accurate, because at the very least, I can tell that experiences are grouped. Ex: you can feel the same type of pain at different positions on your body.

Following your view, if we assumed that sensory experiences were defined as waves, you would then have to explain why a wave looks nothing like a color, smells nothing like a smell, etc. It seems more likely that a wave is defined in terms of experience, rather than the other way around. After all, how would you describe a wave if not by sensory experiences?

Your observation about waves though, is still very useful in an alternate way. Perhaps it is nonsensical to even compare objects which are not numerical? After all, only numbers can be compared in a meaningful way. Perhaps when you compare light green to green, for example, you merely get the illusion that the sensory experiences are similar, when really, your brain knows the numerical values of each color, and can do a comparison (your brain just skips the part where it shows you the calculations, and instead opts for an emotion type response, which is in line with the fact that the human brain is quite impulse based / works on neural nets).
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 am

blindwake wrote:Following your view, if we assumed that sensory experiences were defined as waves, you would then have to explain why a wave looks nothing like a color, smells nothing like a smell, etc. It seems more likely that a wave is defined in terms of experience, rather than the other way around. After all, how would you describe a wave if not by sensory experiences?


These Waves are Energy, and the Energy is Particle(Photon) or a Wave(transmission) depending on the application. But the Waves themselves are more like Keys that unlock experience. These Keys are infinite in number, and made unique by things such as Speed of Propagation, Wavelength, Amplitude. Method of transference, i.e., Sonic disruption, or Energetic Propagation.

They are very specific Keys devised in the Mind Of God that unlock experience.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:03 am

These Waves are Energy, and the Energy is Particle(Photon) or a Wave(transmission) depending on the application. But the Waves themselves are more like Keys that unlock experience. These Keys are infinite in number, and made unique by things such as Speed of Propagation, Wavelength, Amplitude. Method of transference, i.e., Sonic disruption, or Energetic Propagation.

They are very specific Keys devised in the Mind Of God that unlock experience.


It sounds like we're talking about the exact same thing here, but you are very vague. You've said these waves are like keys. I've said these waves are like indices. It's basically the exact same thing. Except I'm thinking of the waves as representing / being index values for some array-like structure containing sensory experiences, while you haven't specified an analogy.

Ex: Let assets[] = { red, green, blue, ... } (Then the array is enumerated 0, 1, 2, ...)
Let "wave" = 0
Then assets[wave] = red (Access the 0th element, as "wave" = 0, and the value between [ ] is the index)
Except instead of having a simple 1D array, we take into account all the other variables that might be associated with a wave. "assets" may have n-dimensions, so may be more like assets[][][][][][][][][][][]...

You've said waves are energy and they have form. This implies that the wave has numerical data. How do you define a number without a symbol? How do you define a symbol without experience?
Also, you're speaking about physical phenomenons, but how do you know these phenomenons persist beyond our physical realm, or even make sense outside of it?

I see no reason why the keys need be constant either. While assets[] may be { red, green, blue }, it should trivial to swap "red" and "blue", making it { blue, green, red }. Doing this should be a viable alternative to changing every key of the value "0" to "2".
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am

You can use a programming array as an analogy, but I don't think it's necessary. I just refer to it as a Spectrum, and that gets the point across.

Waveforms and Particles, Energy. The Waveforms are the most fundamental aspect here right? It's understood that there is an array of unspecified size depending on the data set, and that each element is a key that unlocks an experience pertinent to a specific class, e.g., Color, tone for the audio spectrum.

There is not any obvious relation or expected result upon examining the waveform and determining its effect. All we know is that each one is a unique identifier that unlocks a particular aspect of experience. Intimately tied to consciousness. There is a connection, both being a form of energy. Consciousness, and its modes also being relative to frequency.

Think about the energetic transverse waves that unlock the 'color' experience. It's transmission of data. The waveforms refract off objects and shoot right inside your head where the waveform is decoded as an image on the Retina. The waveform is a Key that determines the color. Objects don't even contain any color, but their composition alters rebounding light waves to a specific frequency, which determines the Color.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:06 am

You can use a programming array as an analogy, but I don't think it's necessary. I just refer to it as a Spectrum, and that gets the point across.


It doesn't though. Every key has specific lock. That means that there's a mapping.
The point wasn't to use programming. The point was to explain the mapping. I could have just as easily have declared an ordered set. Used a mailbox analogy, etc. It's just that an array is simplest.

Waveforms and Particles, Energy. The Waveforms are the most fundamental aspect here right? It's understood that there is an array of unspecified size depending on the data set, and that each element is a key that unlocks an experience pertinent to a specific class, e.g., Color, tone for the audio spectrum.


I'm not sure calling the wave forms fundamental is correct. A wave likely isn't even required, but I get what you're saying. Rather than calling it a wave, why not just call it a key? Where the key has a few numbers such as amplitude, wavelength, etc. I'm not sure the concept of a wave makes any meaningful sense when looked at from the perspective of a very small time step in reality. There would be no wave shape.

There is not any obvious relation or expected result upon examining the waveform and determining its effect. All we know is that each one is a unique identifier that unlocks a particular aspect of experience.


Agreed. It seems arbitrary. But if it is set, it seems reasonable to assume that whatever these keys unlock is also mutable. Meaning, though the senses are arbitrary, I see no reason the senses could not be remapped to each other. Interesting though, if reality's logic is based on the keys, and not what they unlock, it doesn't actually matter what the keys are mapped to. You couldn't tell the difference.

Intimately tied to consciousness. There is a connection, both being a form of energy. Consciousness, and its modes also being relative to frequency.


I'd say that consciousness is the set of keys. If the keys are bound to experiences, then a set of keys is effectively synonymous with consciousness.

Think about the energetic transverse waves that unlock the 'color' experience. It's transmission of data. The waveforms refract off objects and shoot right inside your head where the waveform is decoded as an image on the Retina. The waveform is a Key that determines the color. Objects don't even contain any color, but their composition alters rebounding light waves to a specific frequency, which determines the Color.


Ah, I see where our paradigms are clashing. Yes, there is no actual color "out there", but then where is the color? My typical solution is to just reinterpret reality from an objective view to a subjective view. If the colors are not "out there", and we cannot posit where they might be, then it is likely that the initial assumption is incorrect. Therefore, color must be "out there". However, because we all can see different colors, we must not all be exactly in the same world, because we all have varying "out there"s. Basically, "mind" creates matter, not the other way around, and reality has a peer-to-peer rather than server-to-peers architecture.

If the waveform is defined separately from consciousness, what is it defined as? It occurred to me a while ago that descriptions themselves are based on the concept of experience. So, it doesn't actually make sense to have data without consciousness, as data is essentially a subset of consciousness. The problem with your explanation is that nowhere is it explained where the brain actually gets the color associated with the wave. All the brain sees is an electrical impulse, and then the brain's neural net responds. There is no color involved. Actually, the process of experience is entirely redundant. From looking at a brain, with all its complex wiring, it's really not all that different from a modern day computer. It's like there's a ghost in a machine.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 am

blindwake wrote:
If the waveform is defined separately from consciousness, what is it defined as?

I wouldn't say it is defined separately from consciousness. First of all, we are dealing with two levels of Consciousness, i.e. Microcosmic, and Macrocosmic. I believe that the Singularity was in fact Primordial Consciousness, and the Big Bang was an expansion of this Consciousness. We are Microcosms of the Primordial Consciousness. Characters in God's Dream. Reflections. Everything is Consciousness, it's all there is. Truth is stranger than fiction.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 am

I wouldn't say it is defined separately from consciousness.


So, you mean a part of consciousness, but separate from our individual consciousnesses? It is as if the world itself is conscious?
If that's what you mean, that makes perfect sense.

First of all, we are dealing with two levels of Consciousness, i.e. Microcosmic, and Macrocosmic. I believe that the Singularity was in fact Primordial Consciousness, and the Big Bang was an expansion of this Consciousness.


I won't argue over the credibility of the big bang, but I disagree on the concept of a beginning of time. I think it just goes backwards forever, but then I don't really take the idea of objective time all that seriously. Non-linear time makes a lot more sense. If I can't posit how time would be made or destroyed, to me, it makes sense that it might be a mistake to try to think of it as being able to be constructed or destroyed.

We agree in a sense though. I would see the big bang as this universe's data complexity being at a minimum, meaning that its storage / consciousness is relatively small. Then as the big bang expands, there's more to describe, so it makes sense that the big bang is synonymous with an expansion of consciousness. It is as if the small consciousness were literally filled with more and more data until it expanded to the size it is now.

That's probably overly wordy though. It's simpler to just say that that greater consciousness is equivalent to the entire universe, then changes to one are changes to the other.

We are Microcosms of the Primordial Consciousness. Characters in God's Dream. Reflections. Everything is Consciousness, it's all there is.


Agreed, but at another time I think it's reasonable to say we are the primordial consciousness. I think that simply calling us small and it big is misleading, as it implies something like a need to worship.
It's as if god were very big, then decided to split itself into small pieces. Or maybe there were small pieces first, and they're constantly working to build god. Either or. The sequencing probably has little meaning.

Truth is stranger than fiction


Fiction is truth.

Back on topic

Do you think it's fair to say then, that the experiences pointed to by these keys, are non-reducible? That "blue" is not comparable to "hot", etc.? Except by the numbers arbitrarily assigned to the experiences?
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 am

One more off topic:

But if you take time and make it infinitely linear then how do you resolve the problem of an Infinite Past? It seems as though Time cannot proceed forward without a starting point, ergo infinite regression.

Do you think it's fair to say then, that the experiences pointed to by these keys, are non-reducible? That "blue" is not comparable to "hot", etc.? Except by the numbers arbitrarily assigned to the experiences?


Given this Model it seems that there could be anomalies. If you use a hardware analogy of transmitter and receiver. The wave forms are the transmission and consciousness is the receiver; Vehicle as intermediary, or Decoder of waveform data. Although it seems that any errors would likely be in close proximity to the original frequency. Incorrect decoding of Colors, red for green, et cetera.

But it could be possible for the mix-ups to be further reaching.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:17 am

But if you take time and make it infinitely linear then how do you resolve the problem of an Infinite Past? It seems as though Time cannot proceed forward without a starting point, ergo infinite regression.


We're using different models. You're thinking of lines, like geometry. I'm thinking of lines, like functions. It's not a sequence, it's an expression.

Imagine some function f, which, given a value "s" (sequence position), returns a single instant of reality as experienced by a consciousness of some finite size. "s" can range from negative infinity to positive infinity, and "0" can be chosen arbitrarily to measure relative distance. The line neither starts nor ends because it stretches forever. Following the line is like following a bunch of still frames.

Now, let there be a single consciousness with a finite size. Imagine that it looks like a circle with a finite radius. Then let if move throughout some 3D space, leaving a trail as it does so. You're left with a very complicated tube. Then every slice of the tube represents an instant of reality as can be perceived (non-linear time). Then somehow effects come about when the tube intersects with itself partially in various intricate patterns, but it's never allowed to hit the exact same spot twice, because then the reality function wouldn't be a function. Also, the circle can increase or decrease in size arbitrarily, making a variety of tube thicknesses.

It's like how when you're watching a movie, you see people doing things, and it seems that there are objects in your TV which do things. In reality, you're just observing a bunch of pixels moving around.

Not completely like that though. It's quite possible that there could be restrictions applied to the observer function, meaning that it can't actually behave erratically all the time. Theoretically, there could be, so I posit that because there can be, there must be, in some realm. Maybe this realm is one of those restricted realms.

Given this Model it seems that there could be anomalies. If you use a hardware analogy of transmitter and receiver. The wave forms are the transmission and consciousness is the receiver; Vehicle as intermediary, or Decoder of waveform data. Although it seems that any errors would likely be in close proximity to the original frequency. Incorrect decoding of Colors, red for green, et cetera.

But it could be possible for the mix-ups to be further reaching.


I actually haven't thought of that. I've generally assumed that errors must be getting actively caught, or else reality would be a lot less unstable than it is. However, I'm not sure what kind of decoding process could be occurring, given that the color is likely unrelatable to the key. Also not sure how you would transfer things like colors. That's where my goal of devising an abstract general data type came from. If you want to be able to think about networks of data, you need to be able to quantify the data, otherwise you can't ponder about what sorts of devices might contain it, etc.

Perhaps the keys are deliberately ordered in such a way as to minimize the effects of errors. After all, if you define "light green" = 1, "red" = "2", "green" = "3", and "dark red" = "4", and there is an error margin of +-1, then there's going to be a lot of flickering between very different colors. However, if you define them so that similar colors are close together, the error is almost irrelevant. This leaves an issue still though, how do you compare things like "red", "green", etc., without their keys. You can't compare non-numerical things, except maybe for boolean comparisons. It seems reasonable to assume that a test to see if two things are identical could be done, but on what basis, I don't know.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Out of curiosity, and this probably won't help much with your explanations. I am wondering if you have also factored in at some level the concept of 'reason' being transcended here. I know many of the things being discussed are a part of Universal Cosmology, but the origins of one or more elements here may transcend the Universe so Chaos may prevail in lieu of Order; reason. Having said that though I do believe that you should utilize mundane reason to it's fullest capability.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Out of curiosity, and this probably won't help much with your explanations.


Do you not understand?

I am wondering if you have also factored in at some level the concept of 'reason' being transcended here.


I'm not sure how you would transcend reason. If something happens, then it is as a result of some past event, therefore, what happens is predictable. Anything that is predictable is logical.
Besides, simply saying "reason is transcended" is a cop out. It's like saying "god works in mysterious ways".

Universal Cosmology


I have no idea what that means. It's just simple logic.

but the origins of one or more elements here may transcend the Universe so Chaos may prevail in lieu of Order; reason


Yes, but in any chaos, if you look hard enough you'll delude yourself into seeing a pattern. The idea of origin seems flawed in itself though when it cannot be explained how some things are made or unmade. It would seem that the assumption of creation is incorrect.

Having said that though I do believe that you should utilize mundane reason to it's fullest capability.


I am. I'm avoiding the use of vague terms such as "Universal Cosmology" and anything else that can be capitalized (God, etc.) I define data types, and I explain what they do with each other. It's basic logic.
Your comment implies criticism. Could you be less vague and say what you mean? Non-constructive criticism gets nowhere. [thumbup]
Quite frankly, I find the comment rather hypocritical.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Lost the power for a second right while I was in the middle of a post and lost it. Now I know how Shawn Blackwolf feels.

Anyway. I was just pointing out that It is a well known concept of Theoretical Physics that the Universal Laws are invalidated prior to the Big Bang, or you could also say that Order is Born of Chaos. So I'm just stating possible uncertainty as to whether or not any elements in existence being discussed here are all relative post Big Bang, or otherwise failing to be addressed via 'reason'.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Now I know how Shawn Blackwolf feels.


I don't particularly care how they feel. They can barely write themselves, and they rarely write anything but gibberish.
But thanks anyway for the insult. Again, you've failed to specify what the problem is. All you people do is complain.

Anyway. I was just pointing out that It is a well known concept of Theoretical Physics that the Universal Laws are invalidated prior to the Big Bang, or you could also say that Order is Born of Chaos. So I'm just stating possible uncertainty as to whether or not any elements in existence being discussed here are all relative post Big Bang, or otherwise failing to be addressed via 'reason'.


Yes.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Cerber » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:06 am

blindwake wrote:
I don't particularly care how they feel. They can barely write themselves, and they rarely write anything but gibberish.
But thanks anyway for the insult. Again, you've failed to specify what the problem is. All you people do is complain.


It's great you finally came clean with your true feelings, and true thoughts of other members of this imperfect community. We be sure to take notice and be sure to put some effort to match your superiority. We sincerely apologize for our shortcomings [sadface]
It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
User avatar
Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm
Location: Kingdom of Britannia

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:32 am

Are you trolling?

You can't extend my feelings regarding one member towards all of them. That's invalid.
I also never claimed superiority, but if you somehow feel inferior, that sounds like a personal problem.

And why did you feel the need to dump that comment here? You weren't even a part of the thread.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Cerber » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:59 am

blindwake wrote:Are you trolling?

You can't extend my feelings regarding one member towards all of them. That's invalid.
I also never claimed superiority, but if you somehow feel inferior, that sounds like a personal problem.

And why did you feel the need to dump that comment here? You weren't even a part of the thread.

You said all didn't you? Is there any other definition in your vocabulary for that term "all" than what is generally accepted?
Sorry your pockets full of bones, I just couldn't resist that yummy stench of something rotten
It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
User avatar
Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm
Location: Kingdom of Britannia

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 am

[thumbup]

My claim that you all complain does not imply that I feel superior or that my feelings are negative towards all of you. I admit though, it was incorrect to say that "all you people do is complain" because obviously you all do more than complain. Perhaps "all you people complain" would have been more accurate, seeing that all people do complain over at least some things.

It's OK. I appreciate conflict.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Cerber » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 am

Eh, I lost interest, carry on with your devices
It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
User avatar
Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm
Location: Kingdom of Britannia

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Spida » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:23 pm

I never thought that trivial comment would have garnered so much attention or I would have omitted it.

blindwake wrote:I'm not sure how you would transcend reason. If something happens, then it is as a result of some past event, therefore, what happens is predictable. Anything that is predictable is logical.
Besides, simply saying "reason is transcended" is a cop out. It's like saying "god works in mysterious ways".


It is not a copout.

There are certain contexts in which your rational methodologies are not applicable. One was mentioned, another one would be the Quantum World. It's a well known concept in QM that the Macroscopic rules do not apply there, at least not in the same way. Reason becomes obsolete, i.e. it has been transcended.

It's not an issue though as long as you are dealing with only the waveforms and not the Force Carrying Particles that they are composed of. I suppose my talk of Photons was the catalyst for me going down that road.

I notice that the Vibrational Theory Of Olfaction puts this phenomenon in the IR Range of the EM Spectrum with frequencies in the THz Range. Which is shared with the Visible Light portion of the Spectrum. So from this it looks like there could be ambiguities between Odors, and Colors.
User avatar
Spida
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby Stukov » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 am

blindwake wrote:
Now I know how Shawn Blackwolf feels.


I don't particularly care how they feel. They can barely write themselves, and they rarely write anything but gibberish.
But thanks anyway for the insult. Again, you've failed to specify what the problem is. All you people do is complain.


The statement in context seems to be indicative to how Blackwolf feels when he loses power and loses all he writes. Perhaps Spida could clarify, otherwise even if you felt this was an insult (which it doesn't seem to be anyways), there is no reason to insult a different individual when you feel you are insulted by someone. I've said it a dozen times, use the report function and do not engage someone in that manner. Spida, could you clarify what you meant by "how he feels" comment in what was intended?
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.
User avatar
Stukov
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: Unification of Senses - Hearing Colors, Tasting Sounds,

Postby blindwake » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:18 am

Stukov,

Lost the power for a second right while I was in the middle of a post and lost it. Now I know how Shawn Blackwolf feels.


In retrospect, you are probably correct. I interpreted the quote as meaning that Spida lost the ability / interest to respond to me, and I interpreted the Shawn Blackwolf part as being a reference to this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40708, where Shawn Blackwolf was less than respectful. I probably overanalyzed, but to pick a single specific person as an example of something as mundane as losing your train of thought seems odd.

Also, it wasn't a spiteful insult to some arbitrary individual, I took the insult as an extension of Shawn's insults.
In any case, I deem the insult founded anyway, a favor returned, considering my writings have equally, yet smugly, been insulted by Shawn here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40800

I've said it a dozen times, use the report function and do not engage someone in that manner.

I will keep that in mind. Even though it feels pathetic, like a snitch, to not be able to resolve conflicts like civilized individuals. I often forget how easily flame wars are started.

Spida,

Reason isn't transcended in the quantum realm though. The rules change and our expectations are invalidated. That just means that macroscopic patterns do not apply to quantum level interactions, not that there are no patterns at quantum level. It's still logical, just different.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-you-be-a- ... -mechanics

It's not an issue though as long as you are dealing with only the waveforms and not the Force Carrying Particles that they are composed of. I suppose my talk of Photons was the catalyst for me going down that road.


Could you please explain this further? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I notice that the Vibrational Theory Of Olfaction puts this phenomenon in the IR Range of the EM Spectrum with frequencies in the THz Range. Which is shared with the Visible Light portion of the Spectrum. So from this it looks like there could be ambiguities between Odors, and Colors.


That's a very interesting observation. However, if certain smells and colors had identical keys, that would make those sensory experiences undifferentiable. That doesn't really make sense because we obviously can tell the difference between smells and colors. I think what that this observation really implies is that frequency alone cannot describe a key. Perhaps mapping a key to a sensory experience is similar to how people get depth perception from flat images. The brain uses more than just binocular vision for depth perception; it also uses depth cues. In the same way, perhaps when a single frequency is received, surrounding frequencies are also checked. So, perhaps getting two frequencies in isolation is not equivalent to getting them together.

I do agree though, that that introduces the possibility of error / ambiguity.
If all brains are made roughly the same, then why do I perceive through my own? What special characteristic places me in this skull?
I do not move throughout the world. The engines do not move the ship, but the universe.
User avatar
blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: I'm dreaming, but there's no wake.

Next

Return to Individual Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Bridge by mehdiplugins.com