Loki and Wyrd

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Loki and Wyrd

Post by Rauðolfr »

Here is a link to an essay i wrote which is about a new perspective on Loki that to me is a more useful reading of the lore in the context of shamanism:

http://flamehair.weebly.com/loki-and-wyrd.html

thats not me in the picture by the way... don't know who that is and i didn't choose it lol.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Loki and Wyrd

Post by Nahemah »

Yey! [yay] I like your thinking,a lot.
Wyrd frequently operates by two opposing forces in dynamic tension to create a third outcome that is more than its constituent parts, like Muspelheim and Niflheim emerging from Ginnungagaap at the beginning of creation, to the river/valley relationship creating the contours of the land. Birth and death, day and night, winter and summer, all are a part of this whole.

[thumbup]

Liminality and the inbetween stages are my big area of interest and practice.We get extended periods of gloaming [twilight,lol] hereabouts and it is a most useful time and space for slipping across planes/gateways and awarenesses.

: Slgihtly tangential:Are you a redhead,by any chance? [blog name] I 'm not ,but my beloved gran had the most amazing Auburn locks and I dye my hair to look more like hers did.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rauðolfr »

: Slgihtly tangential:Are you a redhead,by any chance? [blog name] I 'm not ,but my beloved gran had the most amazing Auburn locks and I dye my hair to look more like hers did.
long time to reply :)

yes, sort of i am. i have a red/brown beard anyway. viking ancestry. could there be some kind of correlation between gingers and loki? ;)

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

There certainly could be,it's an idea worth exploring. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

theodil
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by theodil »

Hey there, I really like this essay (= the description of Wyrd presented here comes across to me as something not unlike the Tao, especially with the fluid/stream analogy.
To live in Wyrd is to wade in a stream. If one were to fight their way across the current, one would struggle and suffer. If one were to follow the flow of the stream, one would arrive at the destination more quickly and painlessly. If one were to fight the current head on, one would inevitably fail and fall, being dragged painfully to where one needed to be.
I think another useful analogy may be that a stream cannot be hurried. It goes where it goes in its own time but if you try to push it you will fail. Also I appreciate the bringing of Loki into the discussion and think it is a fitting interpretation of his function amongst the Aesir (= very cool!

Return to “Northern Europe”