Liber MMM Discussion - Discipline 4: Object Concentration

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Liber MMM Discussion - Discipline 4: Object Concentration

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Okay everyone, lets start doing some magick. For this exercise you will need a 'widget', which is basically just a throw away toy that has no significance in your life, something you personally place no value in, nor are connected with in any way, emotionally or historically. I have found that the best widgets are little toy cars, but you will know when you find the right widget. I know someone who solely uses sea shells to do this too - just something small that you can put in your pocket that nobody is going to ask you about, just some random piece of detritus from a dollar store.

When you have your widget, please report in. Don't tell anyone what your widget is, this is yours and yours alone. [thumbup]

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Liber MMM Discussion - Discipline 4: Object Concentratio

Post by Maya The Generator »

Done. *waiting intesifies* ;)
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

beero
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by beero »

I have got one

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

I'm still looking for something. Today I will browse around the dollar store and I will choose something.

beero
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by beero »

it doesn't literally have to be a toy does it I just picked up a random small item that I found in my house

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Awesome everyone, going good. No, it doesn't have to be a toy, but it's best if it has no emotional connection to you, so no presents or anything that reminds you of friends and family. When I focus on this discipline I have a glass chess pawn I found - it doesn't mean anything to me, it's just a clear glass playing piece, nothing special.

Now, this is what I would like you to do. Place your widget somewhere you can see it - on the arm of a chair, on a table in front of you, somewhere you can see it while you are going through the exercises. Go through the process of motionlessness, then the breathing exercise, but instead of seeking no-mind without any real stimulus, focus your attention 100% on your widget. Make the widget the complete focus of your mind - explore it, but try not to narrate your explorations, simply let your mind envelop the widget and explore it without judgment.

This is why the widget has to have no meaning - you can't look at it and think 'that's the toy my son gave me for Christmas', it has to have no meaning to you whatsoever so that when your subconscious mind explores it it can generate its own interpretation.

Try this a couple of times and let me know how you get on. I'm particularly interested to hear if your mind comes up with any strange purposes or meanings that it might attach to your widget - stuff like how it is shaped, or what may have shaped it, or if the object takes on a life of its own, such as being assigned some kind of occult significance that you may not otherwise have seen.

beero
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by beero »

should it still be around about 15 minutes of meditation I am aiming for?

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

beero wrote:should it still be around about 15 minutes of meditation I am aiming for?
Yes - aim for just around 15 minutes or you will start assigning too many meanings to your widget, and instead of observing it you will start to internalise it, make it something it isn't, and future meditations on it will start to focus on the meanings you yourself have assigned, not the actual object itself.

Try to start observing other things in a similar way and you will be surprised at what you end up truly seeing - most people never look at things, they rely on their own internal register to tell them that a letterbox is a letterbox, a fence is a fence, etc - you will find if you actually look at something, actually observe what it is, not what your mind tells you it is, that there is a massive world of observational individuality out there, you simply need to stop assuming and taking things for granted and actually look at what you are seeing.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Okay, so if you have gotten this far you will have been concentrating on your widget to the degree that you will be able to recall what it looks like pretty well, and not just what it is but also all the minor things that identify it as yours. What you need to do now is to put the widget away somewhere and then draw it. It doesn't matter if you cant draw, just draw what you remember - those specific key features that your widget differs from others like it, a bent axle in a toy car for instance, or some torn sticker on a board game playing piece.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Object concentration serves as the most easy magical act to perform - the ability to cause yourself to have a hallucination at will. Being able to create something you can view dispassionately, that you are aware is not there but can still see it and view it through three dimensions allows for much deeper exploration into the psyche, and through this changing of your own perceptions you start to see ways to manipulate other peoples perception of reality too. Let me know when you get up to this and I will continue.

Return to “School of Magick Archive”