Is Thoth dead?

The naughty step, the fighting pit, where topics come to die and moderation is generally lighter.

Snowywulf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Is Thoth dead?

Post by Snowywulf »

So apparently someone wasted Thoth and he is apparently now split into fragments. Is there any truth to this? Who did it and why? Discuss.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Is Thoth dead?

Post by the_spiral »

This post feels a bit troll-ish to me. You may want to provide some background information or evidence for such a wild claim before telling other people to "discuss."
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Snowywulf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Snowywulf »

Apologies, that is not my intent. All I know of this is word of mouth and Chinese whispers I do not know if it is true and hope it isn't. Therefore I simply seek clarification.

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Nope, he's very much alive. Spoke with him recently over on alchemyforums.com lol

Our reality has certain names for things, but when we die, we leave those behind. Thoth, in our reality, could die, but the archtype (highest knowledge, supreme intellect, etc) will never die.
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá Àse

If we think of Egregores (the real thing) they do not "die", they just "fall asleep", they hibernate but they don't die, they don't banish into nothing, they don't dissolve, they just turn off until someone or somethig re activates them.

I believe gods, deities and other similar beings are more than "just egregores", so... I don't think Thoth is "dead".

Dion Fortune (I think, if not Regardie) says that ancient gods when their cults "die", they live in Briah and they disconected themselves from their "yetziratic" part. SO, when we contact "dead gods" (gods which their cults have died and had no direct descendance) we contact their "shells" or images in Yetzirah, but not actually THEM. According to this, to have real contact with the ancient, dead gods, we have to "search" them in Briah to conect them down to Yetzirah, and in that case "that new state" it's only for us, as in if other person wants to contact them needs to do the same. (the explanation is qabalisticaly expressed so that every occultist understand)

So, I think, Thoth CAN'T be dead. Might be away as a god, but they said above, as an archetype or an astral image, it's there

Saravá
Idansinají
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

Snowywulf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Snowywulf »

I like your answer a lot, Willow. It makes a lot of sense. The question is why would a deity do such a thing?

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Other thing. A deity wouldn't "split" into fragments, unless it is one of its qualities.

For example we have Esu of yoruban mithology or Mpambu Njila of the bantu. Esu and Njila multiplies/splits Himself into thousands, so they are found in everything and everywhere.

Thoth doesn't have THAT abillity. He represents more of the "light of the mind"... And, the one who might "split things", or more tear them up, is Set. Set represents the "fragmented mind", the part of the mind which is not equilibrated, and tears in peaces, the "spiritual esence", which is represented by Osiris. That esoteric analysis reflects the nature of those gods as beings. Thoth wound't split Himself, actually he would do the oposite and gather more and more to the whole.

So, I guess that those "chinese whispers" are just inventions of the fantasy of people. I guess...
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Much respect WillowDarkWytch, to you and your interpretation of Thoth.
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

Return to “The Roasting Pit”