Kava Kava

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Kava Kava

Post by chowderpope »

I know this isn't necessarily related to Shamanism but I wasn't sure where else to post it. And anyone interested in shamanic substances would surely take interest in this subject.

Many of you may be familiar with kava and have used it before.

For those that may not know, Kava is a plant that grows in the pacific islands. For thousands of years people have ground up the root and made a tea from it. It's effects are relaxing and it has a strong anti-anxiety effect.

If you have anxiety, I definitely recommend researching this plant. Do not worry about the extracts or the pills, get the medium ground root and make sure it's certified as being Noble. Don't get Tudei, it's from the wrong part of the plant and makes you sick.

I had a very strong fear of the dark and some pretty nasty anxiety, and Kava has been a miracle worker for me. I'm very excited to see where this leads. I really can't recommend it enough. It's been a great substitute for alcohol for me which I was using too often. In fact it's better than alcohol because it gives you similar effects without making you "drunk"

The only negative effect I've found so far is your skin becomes dry and itchy in some places. One person recommends apple cider vinegar, then rinse, then aloe vera lotion. The aloe vera lotion worked well for me. My lips also became very chapped. Some people suggest this is due to a loss of oils in the body so you can add olive oil or coconut oil (etc) to your diet.

The other negative thing is this stuff tastes really terrible, but you can mix it with fruit juice to make it better.

If you are interested I recommend researching on the kava forums and seeking out a brand that sells noble kava.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Kava Kava

Post by CCoburn »

I first heard about this stuff from Little Ceasar,

I have the "NOW" brand. 250 mg per capsule.
It's not cheap, 26 bucks for 120.
I heard prolonged use can adversely affect your liver,
however, in my periodic use of it i have not noticed any negative side effects.
This is also one of the actives in the "Happy Camper" mood boosting supplements.
which got some pretty good reviews.

The St Johns Wort is also fairly decent,
But I do consider the effects of these Herbal Supplements marginal at best.
But worthwhile I guess.

I have found better things with barely any negative side effects.
And a much more rewarding experience.
It all depends on the application I guess.

Peace.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Hi Spida,

I also have some of the NOW supplements and agree it is marginal. I have ordered the actual ground up root of the plant from Cactus Kava, and have found it to be much more potent. I highly recommend it, especially for those with anxiety or stress. There are other good brands on the kava forums that you can check out. Most half pound bags may be around 27 dollars as well.

I'm curious though what other things do you take that you like?
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

What i'm talking about is really out of context with your post,
and more Shamanic in nature. So I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

Peace

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

bathtub-alchemist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bathtub-alchemist »

I know this is an old thread, but I have an interest in this as well.

I have used this medicinally, recreationally, and in a shamanic context in attempts to better understand it. I would love to see in what ways others have used this specifically in a shamanic sense

Return to “Shamanism”