Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram on daylight

francoteves
Forum Member
Forum Member

Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram on daylight

Post by francoteves »

Hi everybody and thanks for reading my question.

The problem I have is that I am trying to become a solitary magician with the help of Donald M. Kraig's book: Modern Magick (incredible book) but in one part he says that to perform the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP) you need to be lightened only by candles, and if it is during the day, close the curtains.

The situation is that I study at night and I arrive at home quite tired, sleepy and late (11:30 pm) and I have not been able to practice the ritual anymore since I started the university again. So I figured out that I could do it in the mornings but where I live there are windows everywhere and I can´t find a place to practice the ritual in the dark with candles.

So, do you know anything about this requirement to do this ritual or there is no problem with the daylight? If you can cite anybody (author) I'd be grateful or maybe talk from your experience.

Thanks.

Here it is the extract where I got the information from:

"Final preparation of the space: If you have them, put the four tools that represent the magickal elements on top of your altar. Remember, have all of them present or use none of them. Put the Major Arcana cards for the Tarot Contemplation Ritual in a pile on top of the altar, too. According to the diagram below, you will start the ritual between the chair and the altar, facing east. If you have candles for use in this ritual, now is the time to light them and turn out any electric lights you have burning. Of course, if it is daylight, you will want to pull the drapes or close the curtains, etc. If, like me, you prefer candlelight, your goal should be to have the room lit only by candles. Also, light any incense you wish to burn at this time."

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram on daylight

Post by Ramscha »

Hello Francoteves,

Modern Magick is indeed a really great book. But don't forget, that every literature is only a guidline, not a law (except law books, but that is another matter [crazy] ). From my personal experience and also some authors I could recommend (Phil Hine, Jan Fries) it is not necessarily a matter, when you perform a ritual. Of course in some literature they say, for this nightime and this moon phase you have to work with, but in the end it should be you who is deciding, what, which, why, where and when. The night time is of course prefered time for many magicians since it is the most quiet time of the day and most people are asleep, so you have less disturbances.

If you want some personal advice from me for this ritual:
When performing this ritual in broad daylight, forget about the candles except the one(s) refering to the fire element (if you use one as fire representative). Daylight itself can be a great focus, you can use the sun as mental anchor point when performing the cabbalistic cross. Don't let yourself get disturbed by it.
It might need a little bit of time to get used to practice in daylight if your are used to work during night.

Finally a link to an author (The ritual should be at page 21.)
Frater U.D. - High Magick

I use the basic version of Frater U.D. LBPR and changed to my needs and personal practice. In his book he does not refer to any kind of daytime, it really is your own choice ;)

Ramscha
bye bye

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

I have never felt bound by time or the use of candles for this ritual. The level of focus and intentionality you pour into it is far more important that the time of day.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I think Kraig is speaking there more in terms of establishing a mood conducive to working magic, than in terms of a strict requirement.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Akairyuu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Akairyuu »

I think you can do it during daylight if you want, with or without tools; what really matters is your intention and focus. I actually think it's a good thing to practice doing rituals during in daylight because you'll learn to become less easily distracted. I often do the LBRP during the day as well as doing it at night, and I'm surrounded by four dogs and a noisy bird so I've learned to just block everything out and get on with things :).

francoteves
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by francoteves »

Wow, four years have passed and until now I see your answers! There should be a notification via email about the replies. Thank you very much Ramscha, Asurendra, Rin, Akairyuu.

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”