Magic themed tattoos

Sculpture, Wood Carving, Outdoor artworks, installations and artistry.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Magic themed tattoos

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Hi guys,

Anyone got any magical themed tattoos? Ive got a couple, but this is the one I like the most...

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Magic themed tattoos

Post by Nahemah »

I have,but only one got one partial photograph,of the runes on my calf sleeve lol...

Madavascus
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Madavascus »

Case wrote:Hi guys,

Anyone got any magical themed tattoos? Ive got a couple, but this is the one I like the most...

Huh, that's a great tattoo. Was it made on your knee?
Incipit Chaos!

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nah, its on my shoulder. Its fairly large too. The colour has been enhanced a bit in this picture, as you can probably tell - in reality its a little less bright and glowing.

Madavascus
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Madavascus »

It looks like you're skin is being ripped apart by the Chaos Star, revealing an ethereal form and substance underneath your skin. [thumbup]
Incipit Chaos!

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Yeah that's an amazing piece of work dude.

I'd love to get a tattoo done one day, but I can never settle on one single idea, it's such a permanent decision to make, so it bears a lot of dwelling on.

I've always thought something like this:

on my back, maybe surrounded by an ouroboros, would be cool, if not the most original. I'm a huge fan of celtic mythology and imagery, have a strong connection to trees and nature, and I've always liked the ouroboros as a symbol of eternity and renewal. So maybe if I still like the idea in a year or two...
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Thats very nice, but I reckon it would suit your shoulder rather than your back - backs tend to suit more oval shaped tattoos rather than round ones. As for thinking of tattoos as being ultra permanent, yeah they are, but just go with what you like now rather than what you think you might like forever, otherwise you wont get anything ever. Tattoos for me are a roadmap of my life, not something I stress too much about in regards to liking them for the rest of my life. If I ever dont like anything I have in ten years then I'll just get it covered up with something else - problem solved.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Case wrote:Thats very nice, but I reckon it would suit your shoulder rather than your back - backs tend to suit more oval shaped tattoos rather than round ones. As for thinking of tattoos as being ultra permanent, yeah they are, but just go with what you like now rather than what you think you might like forever, otherwise you wont get anything ever. Tattoos for me are a roadmap of my life, not something I stress too much about in regards to liking them for the rest of my life. If I ever dont like anything I have in ten years then I'll just get it covered up with something else - problem solved.
That's a good attitude, I'll have to dwell on it :)

When you say shoulder, do you mean on my upper arm like this:

Or near shoulderblade like this:

is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Either large and on your shoulder blade or smaller and on your upper arm. You could also put it on your chest, right over your heart, if youre going for symbolism - though Id make it either large enough to cover one side of your chest or small enough to just cover your heart if you were going to go with that option, not a full chest piece.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I like the shoulder blade idea the most, though it seems like it would feel kind of unbalanced, if that makes sense. Guess I'll need to think of something to go on the other side to even things out :p Maybe something a little more abstract, I've seen some cool artwork online that would look good on a back... will have to dwell on it.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Case, I gotta say that tatt on your shoulder is absolutely wicked. I'm actually kinda jealous. :)

I've always wanted to get some magical/egyptian themed tattoos. I can't say I've really come to a definite decision on what I want though, any ideas?

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taiyounoryu wrote:Case, I gotta say that tatt on your shoulder is absolutely wicked. I'm actually kinda jealous. :)

I've always wanted to get some magical/egyptian themed tattoos. I can't say I've really come to a definite decision on what I want though, any ideas?
Maybe you could see if you could get someone to translate your name into heiroglyphics? Either that or get your favourite Egyptian god or goddess tattooed somewhere - thats what I would do if I was after an Egyptian themed piece. For the god image, Id go for something contemporary over something classical, maybe Ra or Bast in a dynamic pose on your calf or down your side?

As for magical themed tattoos, the world is your oyster - there are so many magical symbols out there to choose from its not funny. Placement wise, just dont get anything on your forearms, hands, neck or face and you'll be fine. Colour fades faster than black ink with the lighter colours fading the fastest. Ive had my tattoos recoloured once in 20 years, so there is that to take into consideration too.

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Yea, I've always been intreseted in Anubis. I was thinking of getting some kind of piece with him in it, and as far as the symbols goes your right. There's so many to choose from it's pretty hard.. So far the only thing I've decided on is that I want a rosary over my collar bone and instead of a cross at the end, I want an ankh.

You've only gotten it touched up once in twenty years? Daaamn, I would assume those colors would need a bit more maintenance than that. Your tatt really is amazing though, whoever you went to did good work.

"Placement wise, just dont get anything on your forearms, hands, neck or face and you'll be fine."
Why wouldn't I want to get anything on these places? Are you talking just as far as getting a job goes? Being a psychic vampire, I wanted to get some form of symbol to amplify feeding on my right hand, and amplify sending energy in my left. Though I've never looked into the correlation with magical symbols and tatts. What negatives could there be from this?

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I'm fairly sure he's just talking employment wise, and it's common sense not to get anything done that would be visible while working, unless you have a career which doesn't require a professional/office type environment and expect to keep it for a good long time.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Well my father is a pretty well tenured guy in his union hall, and with construction there's no issues with tatts. So I'm pretty well set for a job.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taiyounoryu wrote:Well my father is a pretty well tenured guy in his union hall, and with construction there's no issues with tatts. So I'm pretty well set for a job.
Yeah, I just meant for work, seeing as people still frown on visible tattoos in quite a few work places. If you reckon your future work places would be fine with getting visible tattoos though then go for it.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I can cover my leg with dark tights or trousers if necessary, in the workplace, but a full calf wrap around from ankle to knee does attract a lot of attention in Summer, lol.

I only have that small partial pic tho, so all you guys can see is the runes .I oathed not to photograph the tattoo at the time of inking, so only pics where it's partially visible exist and it's never the focal point.

I have an eagle's head on my right upper arm,which I can take a pic of and a back piece also, which I won't, at all, ever.

Protip : never allow another magickian to design/charge your inkwork, unless you know them really really for real, very well and even then...I recommend caution. [oh] [shock2] [eek]

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Yeah, apart from this chaos star bursting out of my right shoulder, I have my personal sigil done in black ink about the same size on my other shoulder, though thats looking rather faded and really needs to be redone. I have Tohu Bohu, or 'Chaos' in Hebrew, written across the left side of my chest in Hebrew script, and have a chaos star brand on my right calf. Ive also adopted a rather large scar as a runic symbol, because why not? If you have permanent disfigurations you may as well make the most of them, right? I have plans on getting a sigil to Lilith on my other calf, the Tree of Life on my back, and a whole bunch of other work covering most of my body over the next ten years or so. About the only thing stopping me is money - tattoos can be quite costly; that one above cost $600 and took six hours to complete, so getting an entire back piece will cost thousands.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

^ There are worse things to spend $1000's on, believe me :p

Protip,lol: never allow another magickian to design/charge your inkwork,unless you know them really really for real very well and even then.... [oh] [shock2] [eek]
It sounds like there's a story there, if it's not prying, mind if I ask what happened?
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

It sounds like there's a story there, if it's not prying, mind if I ask what happened?
Hehe,wouldnt have mentioned it if I wasn't willing to discuss it.I'll post later,when I have more free time.There are actually several linked tales.

I posted humorously above, but it is a serious point really,well worth taking under advisement.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Ok my curiosity is definitely piqued now :P
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

My ex is a tattooist and was a practising Occultist too.

He is also a mysognystic violent arsehole, but that's another story, lol. [shock2]

He inked folk with magickal designs they got him to draw up for them. I watched him at work and I noticed how he took their input and turned it to his line of thinking, while convincing them his ideas would look so much better. He was very persuasive and charming.

He explained later to me,how he could link in to them through this and and drain off some energy to boost his own workings, which is rather vampiric and oh so clever, I think, personally.

He didn't take much energy at a time, so his clients while admitting a bit of strangeness and a slight lethargy at times, thought it was the weather or a virus or.....and so on. He inked several of my friends and I later assisted two of them in breaking the link, using what I had learned from him then and afterwards : I pay attention, lol. He inked me but he couldn't control the work or the design as I am a bit of a bloody minded git and I gave my pain and blood up as a rite of empowerment for the Runework in my tattoos...oh and Norse Deities don't share their toys, lol.

Madavascus
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Madavascus »

Nahemah wrote:My ex is a tattooist and was a practising Occultist too.

He is also a mysognystic violent arsehole,but that's another story,lol. [shock2]

He inked folk with magickal designs they got him to draw up for them.I watched him at work and I noticed how he took their input and turned it to his line of thinking,while convincing them his ideas would look so much better.He was persuasive and charming.

He explained later to me,how he could link in to them through this and and drain off some energy to boost his own workings,which is rather vampric and oh so clever,I think,personally.

He didn't take much at a time, so his clients while admitting a bit of strangeness and a slight lethargy at times,thought it was the weather or a virus or.....and so on.He inked several of my friends and I later assisted two of them in breaking the link,using what I had learned from him then and afterwards : I pay attention,lol.He inked me but he couldn't control the work or the design as I am a bit of a bloody minded git and I gave my pain and blood up as a rite of empowerment for the Runework in my tattoos..oh and Norse Deities don't share their toys,lol.
Very interesting story, Nehemah...!
Incipit Chaos!

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Yeah, a friend of mine had a boyfriend (fairly short-lived, thankfully) that took her to get a tattoo one day. I was with them. The tattoo he wanted her to get was a spell. She actually knew what it was, but....I guess she didn't see the harm in it. Anyway, it was a spell that would link the two of them forever. The first place we went to....the tattoo artist looked at the tattoo and knew what it was and refused to do it. Then we went to another place and they did the tat.
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

Occultess wrote:Yeah, a friend of mine had a boyfriend (fairly short-lived, thankfully) that took her to get a tattoo one day. I was with them. The tattoo he wanted her to get was a spell. She actually knew what it was, but....I guess she didn't see the harm in it. Anyway, it was a spell that would link the two of them forever. The first place we went to....the tattoo artist looked at the tattoo and knew what it was and refused to do it. Then we went to another place and they did the tat.
Free will allows for stupidity.
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.

Return to “Crafts and other Skills”