Seid,Spae ,Galdr and other such inklings...

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Seid,Spae ,Galdr and other such inklings...

Post by Nahemah »

I thought it might be time to have a folder for this.

I and others have been partaking in topics recently, where Northern trad practices and methods have become interwoven and rambling has occured.I thought it might be a good time to start up a folder for this kind of thing.

I 'm a Spaewife ,to trade,lol.Its my home ground.I work from a syncretic perspective,as I 'm Scots,but of Norse,Baltic and Celt mixed descent.Hooh haa and lots of pomp and all that. [greensmile]

I 'm a dedicant of Hela.

I 'm going to post information that relates to my own practices and also some lores and folk magick things and whatever else I know about/find on my travels that might be pertinent.
Do feel free to join in and if you have a path you walk that could be having it's own folder,let me know and I 'll set it up. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Seid,Spae ,Galdr and other such inklings...

Post by TheSeeker »

I for one like the sounds of this, Ja...

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by akimbomoss »

I actually have a lot of Scottish blood on the mother's side... and as you know I bumped into this fetch thing by accident which is Spaecraft. I'm kind of curious about it.

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rauðolfr »

This sounds right up my street, and i hope this area grows and develops into something great.
I have had a host of trouble in other northern tradition forums and groups in finding a place that my thoughts would be welcome...
ironically i'm a Lokean, not the young-rebel-anarchist type, but of the thoughtful wilderness loving type.
I would love a chance to discuss Loki and have a chance to prove that lokeans do not deserve this reaction: [rolleyes] or this one >:(
I also practice seidr, and am intereseted in wights trolls dwarves, trees, sacred spaces in nature and other folk traditions.
I come from Viking heritage on one side, German on the other though now i'm an Englishman...
I would love to hear about other's ideas especially the more out there ones that might not get a look in in other traditionalist/reconstructionalist places.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I actually have a lot of Scottish blood on the mother's side... and as you know I bumped into this fetch thing by accident which is Spaecraft. I'm kind of curious about it.
All I can say is... [thumbup] and och aye the noo,lol. [rofl]

That's actually quite significant akimbomoss.
The female bloodline is seen as the 'carrier' of the Disir,as family guardian and clan/tribal guardian spirits. [grin]

[Ancestral inheritance is important,though not necessary to prove,if it's going on,it's going on because it's meant to be.New lines can start up and interrupted ones reawaken and so on.]

KidKunjer

This sounds right up my street, and i hope this area grows and develops into something great.
I have had a host of trouble in other northern tradition forums and groups in finding a place that my thoughts would be welcome...
ironically i'm a Lokean, not the young-rebel-anarchist type, but of the thoughtful wilderness loving type.
I would love a chance to discuss Loki and have a chance to prove that lokeans do not deserve this reaction: [rolleyes] or this one >:(
I also practice seidr, and am intereseted in wights trolls dwarves, trees, sacred spaces in nature and other folk traditions.
I come from Viking heritage on one side, German on the other though now i'm an Englishman...
I would love to hear about other's ideas especially the more out there ones that might not get a look in in other traditionalist/reconstructionalist places.
We are very glad to have you here.In fact,I 'm delighted. [yay] You are most welcome.

I am not reconstructionist,but I do practice in a traditional style,lol.
I am a dedicant of Hela ,so I 'm sure we'll get along. [greensmile]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Hey Nah,
Do you think you could include a rough phonetic translation (in parentheses), of the Gaeilic terminology you're using?

Some of us less than perfect individuals are lacking in Scots Brogue... [blush]

Visenda
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Visenda »

I work with seiðr too, but I don't divide it into categories like some might do. I'm also researching galðr (the verses in Galðralag, not the modern intonation of runes). I can't say I'm reconstructionist, because I do experiment. But I do have some limits on what I call seiðr and galðr.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Hey Nah,
Do you think you could include a rough phonetic translation (in parentheses), of the Gaeilic terminology you're using?

Some of us less than perfect individuals are lacking in Scots Brogue... [blush]

Sorry,lol.Will do. [thumbup]

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

That sounds good, I've been hearing a lot about it recently, I don't know much, still reading my first book about it :P

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Well,once I get some decent pain relief,lol,I hope to catch up a bit on the forum and post a lot more in here. [thumbup]

I have now added a broken ankle to my list of ailments and afflictions.Sheesh.The universe is trying tell me summat,so now I think it's time to listen perhaps? [greensmile] [geek2] I surely don't want it to shout any louder...lolololol... [rofl] [crazy]

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Nahemah wrote:Well,once I get some decent pain relief,lol,I hope to catch up a bit on the forum and post a lot more in here...
...The universe is trying tell me summat,so now I think it's time to listen perhaps?
Perhaps...
I was never much for subtle signs along the path myself, wyrd almost always winds up landing a clue-by-four upside me 'ead! [eek] [lol]
But yes, Nah!
I too have been reading about Seidr, Spae, Galdr and the ilk, but like Vashta, I would know more!

[question2] My first question would be, specifically, are there any authors on the subject that anyone herein feels really ought to be avoided?

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Yeh,I tend not to listen to subtelties either,so whammo! Lol,Universe,plse stop hurting me now...I'm paying attention,honest...

That's one thing about walking this way,you tend to get coralled by it,big smacks and many challenges and just when you think you know where you are,the goal posts shift and the middle is no longer visible,lol.

My first question would be, specifically, are there any authors on the subject that anyone herein feels really ought to be avoided?
Oh aye.

In matters Runic,Ralph Blum is the classic go to No No.I'm sure Mr.Blum is a nice guy,but his Rune book is gawdawful and best avoided,along with any other author who similarly asserts the 'blank rune'.

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/blank_rune.html

And:

Edredd Thorsson is actually a very interesting writer,an essay of his on Ginnungagap is brilliant and there s a lot I can get on board with,in his writing,but I have some problems with his Runic correspondences,as shown here:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/tarot.html

Sunnyway is a great site and I recommend it to all.There are tons of decent information,resources and links over there.

There are as many good as bad writers in this field and it's possible to like some parts of an author's reasoning and not others.It's quite tough to single out the 'awful all the time',but I do admit to having a particular distaste for Wiccish syncretising.I'm not a fan of Freya Asswyn's work for instance,but hey,read for yourselves and see.IMMV.

Likewise,I do enjoy Raven Kaldera's work,but again,not everything,all the time.His understanding of gnosis and trancework is decent and the herbology is excellent,but I'm not sure about other areas.

There has been a move towards a greater understandingf of the older Gods recently and the more Shamanic aspects of Norse practices have come to the fore.This excites me and I hope to see more of it.Phile Hine has some decent info and articles on Seid too,I like him a lot as an author,no criticism for him,yet,lol.

I've read some articles by Ed Richardson,one or more is on Sunnyway,I think,that I liked particularly.There is a a lot of material over there that can inform on who is a decent resource:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/reading_list.html

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/seidr.html

There are many books,but I 've not read most of them.I'm afraid.I have a stock of myths and legends from hereabouts and some of the historical and anthropological/archaeological stuff I've read and worked on,research wise, has informed my practices and understanding,as much,if not more than books have done.

I also don't want to prejudice anyone too much,based on my own dislikes and cantankerousnesses,lol.

Here's a link for another decent resource,this is a brilliant site:
http://www.orkneyjar.com/

Visenda
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Visenda »

I've started to steer clear of Edred Thorsson/Stephen Flowers after he developed that "guru" mentality

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Nahemah wrote:I'm paying attention,honest...
Yeh, sure y'are... [razz]
Nahemah wrote:In matters Runic,Ralph Blum is the classic go to No No... ...along with any other author who similarly asserts the 'blank rune'...
Thanks for mentioning this. I was aware of this myself already, but it is good to get the message out there. It's like our own alphabet having a 27th letter that isn't...
Nahemah wrote:Edredd Thorsson is actually a very interesting writer,an essay of his on Ginnungagap is brilliant and there s a lot I can get on board with,in his writing,but I have some problems with his Runic correspondences,as shown here: http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/tarot.html
Visenda wrote:I've started to steer clear of Edred Thorsson/Stephen Flowers after he developed that "guru" mentality
Yep, again I'd agree. Thorsson's earlier writings are important and valuable contributions to the field of study, and his academic credentials certainly don't hurt. However, I certainly got the feeling from some of his later work that he was developing some ego issues, so I kind of lost interest in him. [rolleyes]
Nahemah wrote:I'm not a fan of Freya Asswyn's work for instance,but hey,read for yourselves and see.IMMV.
I just can't get away from the whole 'Crazy Cat Lady' aspect of her character. Maybe it's cuz her name is Freya, idk... [smile2]
How about Jan Fries, any thoughts on him?
I have been reading a book by him called, "Seidways," [ISBN I 869928369]. I'm not very far into it, but it is an interesting read. He talks about rythmic movement or 'seething' as a form of or aid to trance induction. It's not dance, but more rocking back and forth, or quaking, or 'a whole lotta shakin' goin' on'. Good for us non-dancer types.
Nahemah wrote:Likewise,I do enjoy Raven Kaldera's work,but again,not everything,all the time...
Me too! I find his separation of the Norse shamanic path from Asatru positively inspiring. Some of his other stuff is a little far fetched for me though. I suppose I'm just fortunate in that I don't need Ilsa -She Wolf of the SS whipping my arse to go into a trance. [confused2]
Nahemah wrote:Phil Hine has some decent info and articles on Seid too...
I've read Hine's stuff on Shamanism, but is there more specifically on seidr?
I must research this! I should look at Ed Richardson too as I'm not familiar with him at all, but the Sunnyway site is a great resource. Your comment about having a stock of folklore from which to draw is interesting because it speaks to an issue that is a common problem for many North Americans --myself included; that is, a sense of disenfranchisement from one's culture of origin. I'm sure that must be one of the reasons reconstructionist movements do so well on this side of the pond: there are so many people looking to reconnect.
I've read several different writers --Fries, Paxton, Kaldera-- who have referred to the reawakening that you mentioned, Nah. That has certainly been part of my personal experience in recent years, and I too am excited by it. These are interesting times.
Because of our mixed northern European heritage, my wife and I have chosen to follow a Teutonic paradigm and to educate our children accordingly. We do not however identify as Asatruar, but follow a path that is more shamanic in nature and organic in it's development. One source which we have found to be invaluable in this respect is "Teutonic Mythology," by Jacob Grimm. It's a four volume masterpiece of early ethnographic and linguistic research focusing on the folklore, Pagan and Christian beliefs and practices throughout northern Europe, the Baltic and even in some cases including Scotland (gasp!). Totally worth looking at, and there is a section on seidr --in volume 3, I think... Anyway, you can find it in pdf form on the Weeb, or there's a four volume edition published by Dover [ISBN 0-486-43546-6]. [geek2]

Return to “Northern Europe”