The symbols of Gardner's children

Charles Naton
Forum Member
Forum Member

The symbols of Gardner's children

Post by Charles Naton »

Hello everyone
I'm wondering if there's any consensus on which variations of pentacle are most commonly associated with the degrees of Wicca, especially those which might be worn on a day to day basis. For example, should a Novice wear a pentacle, and if so, should it differ from the 3 degrees in any significant way?
I'm especially interested in hearing from followers of Gardner or BTW. However, if anyone else wants to weigh in then be my guest. I'm currently engaged in research for a character, so I'm interested in identifying any widely accepted norms which have developed organically. Books and the web are all well and good, but it's much better to get a feel for the ideas that inform those who are active in the Craft.
Thanks

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The symbols of Gardner's children

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá

"The Craft" is not JUST Wicca. Just to make it clear ;)

The 3 degrees pentagrams are of general knowledge. Straight pentagram for 1st grade initiate, inverted pentagram for 2nd grade and straight pentagram with the symbol of fire or teiangle above it for 3rd degree. That's just Wiccan degree symbols and wearing them doesn't tell much. Anyone can wear a 3ed degree pent but you eather way would be needing the agknowledgement of a coven for recognition.

I don't think nor know if anyone here is actually initiated into a wiccan coven. Most of the forum participants are solitaire, in any of the systems here discussed.

If there's any wiccan initiate, would be awesome to hear from her/him

Saravá
Idansinají
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

Charles Naton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Charles Naton »

WillowDarkWytch wrote:Motumbá

"The Craft" is not JUST Wicca. Just to make it clear ;)

The 3 degrees pentagrams are of general knowledge. Straight pentagram for 1st grade initiate, inverted pentagram for 2nd grade and straight pentagram with the symbol of fire or teiangle above it for 3rd degree. That's just Wiccan degree symbols and wearing them doesn't tell much. Anyone can wear a 3ed degree pent but you eather way would be needing the agknowledgement of a coven for recognition.

I don't think nor know if anyone here is actually initiated into a wiccan coven. Most of the forum participants are solitaire, in any of the systems here discussed.

If there's any wiccan initiate, would be awesome to hear from her/him

Saravá
Idansinají

Hello WDW
Thanks very much, that's just the kind of input I'm looking for. [happyface]
I do have a further question if I may prey on your time just a little longer....is the circle often found around the pentagram thought to be a matter of personal choice, or is it thought to convey a certain, degree, competency or sect. In other words, have you known of it being used to distinguish between practitioners of varying degrees either within or across groups/covens? I appreciate that not everyone will agree on these issues, but I'm just wondering what you've heard/think.
Thanks again
Charles

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

The degrees are represented by those pentagrams. The pentacle is more of a general thing for witches or pagans. I do wear one and I'm not wiccan. Just "witch", so to speak.

The pentagram represents the interaction of the five elements. The pentacle represents the interaction of the elements in a whole, thus encircled. But they're basically the same.

You have the whole tetragrammaton explanation but I guess tht is for another thread.
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

Charles Naton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Charles Naton »

WillowDarkWytch wrote:The degrees are represented by those pentagrams. The pentacle is more of a general thing for witches or pagans. I do wear one and I'm not wiccan. Just "witch", so to speak.

The pentagram represents the interaction of the five elements. The pentacle represents the interaction of the elements in a whole, thus encircled. But they're basically the same.

You have the whole tetragrammaton explanation but I guess tht is for another thread.
That's great, thanks for your help once again. [happyface]

Return to “Witchcraft”