Are Facebook and Twitter evil tools of enslavement?

Irish_Bard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Are Facebook and Twitter evil tools of enslavement?

Post by Irish_Bard »

You know getting into this forum and a few creative writing ones has been a breath of fresh air and a happy return to early 2000s internet (yes I'm that old).

I've become sick of the shallow, vacuous, attention hungry world of Facebook and their effect on discourse. And it's really got me thinking...

The mechanics of Facebook and Twitter have been designed to encourage reactionary, shallow, aggressive communication styles. Discussion forums have always leaned towards civil, expansive, genuinely exploratory conversations. Even when you don't agree with the other guys you tend to leave the conversation with a better understanding of the "other side" and maybe a little more respect for them. (I'm not saying there's never bickering but seldom on the shocking levels that FB and Twitter enflame.)

Facebook and Twitter on the other hand drive the users towards memes, sloganeering, entrenched one note political tribalism in a very Orwellian (newspeak) way.

If magick is the art and science of refining and empowering thought energy to hit reality (as has recently been most interestingly explored on this forum), then is Facebook anti-magick? A vampiric effort to drain the world of their higher powers of imagination and language?

I do not really believe the runaway (borderline monopolistic) success of Facebook is purely down to timing/luck/"A perfect product" alone.

FB was I suspect invested in, tailored and subtly (but powerfully) marketed by huge players behind the scenes regardless of the Zuchy geeky Cinderella yarn that is so frequently spun.

I believe it is a malicious device to control the internet's potential for expanding the human experience and universal consciousness to the great heights we should get experiencing.

Your thoughts my dear friends?

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Are Facebook and Twitter evil tools of enslavement?

Post by Amor »

>If magick is the art and science of refining and empowering thought energy

I rather think the human has higher functionality than thought. Perhaps those are even more useful in altering Reality

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Irish_Bard wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:28 pm You know getting into this forum and a few creative writing ones has been a breath of fresh air and a happy return to early 2000s internet (yes I'm that old).

I've become sick of the shallow, vacuous, attention hungry world of Facebook and their effect on discourse. And it's really got me thinking...

The mechanics of Facebook and Twitter have been designed to encourage reactionary, shallow, aggressive communication styles. Discussion forums have always leaned towards civil, expansive, genuinely exploratory conversations. Even when you don't agree with the other guys you tend to leave the conversation with a better understanding of the "other side" and maybe a little more respect for them. (I'm not saying there's never bickering but seldom on the shocking levels that FB and Twitter enflame.)

Facebook and Twitter on the other hand drive the users towards memes, sloganeering, entrenched one note political tribalism in a very Orwellian (newspeak) way.

If magick is the art and science of refining and empowering thought energy to hit reality (as has recently been most interestingly explored on this forum), then is Facebook anti-magick? A vampiric effort to drain the world of their higher powers of imagination and language?

I do not really believe the runaway (borderline monopolistic) success of Facebook is purely down to timing/luck/"A perfect product" alone.

FB was I suspect invested in, tailored and subtly (but powerfully) marketed by huge players behind the scenes regardless of the Zuchy geeky Cinderella yarn that is so frequently spun.

I believe it is a malicious device to control the internet's potential for expanding the human experience and universal consciousness to the great heights we should get experiencing.

Your thoughts my dear friends?

DARPA cancels "LifeLog" program - Feb 3, 2004 -
Facebook launched - Feb 4, 2004 -

LifeLog: "...aimed to gather in a single place just about everything an individual says, sees or does: the phone calls made, the TV shows watched, the magazines read, the plane tickets bought, the e-mail sent and received..."

David Karger of MIT (intimate with the details of LifeLog) in 2004 said regarding LifeLog's cancellation due to public disdain for privacy violations:
"I am sure that such research will continue to be funded under some other title,"

Facebook startup funded by Greylock Partners
Greylock Partners founded by a Mossad asset, and funded by IQT
IQT is a funnel of Pentagon & intelligence agency money into the corporate space

Of course these are all just isolated facts. If you try to draw any lines between them, then you're a crazy conspiracy theorist ;) So just try to imagine each of these details as coincidental.

It's designed to spy on you, not rot your brain. Originally anyway. Although, it could definitely do both. The alphabet agencies were real keen on just knowing everything about everybody. But Mossad definitely has a strong bent towards overt social influence. And some of the 3-letter agencies have their head so far up mossad's rear they can see it's tonsils.

I don't really have any first hand experience with the effect of facebook on psychology. Personally I was a LifeLog critic, and had already decided I wasn't going to sign up to Facebook in 2004.

WildWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WildWolf »

Many tools have been used to shape the cultural psyche of civilizations throughout history. Religion has historically been a big player. Technology, in particular the internet and cell phones are quite the draw on human focus. I don't like using the polarities of Good/Evil.....as i feel they are extremely crude.

Instead....lets use Healthy/Unhealthy. As you say....many social media platforms are unhealthy, for the psyche and borderline malevolent control systems for the population. What to do about this? Use social media sparingly, support better platforms and hopefully the internet will move towards greater decentralization once more.

Too much power in the hands of a few is a recipe for disaster.

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

WildWolf wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:10 pm Many tools have been used to shape the cultural psyche of civilizations throughout history. Religion has historically been a big player. Technology, in particular the internet and cell phones are quite the draw on human focus. I don't like using the polarities of Good/Evil.....as i feel they are extremely crude.

Instead....lets use Healthy/Unhealthy. As you say....many social media platforms are unhealthy, for the psyche and borderline malevolent control systems for the population. What to do about this? Use social media sparingly, support better platforms and hopefully the internet will move towards greater decentralization once more.

even healthy/unhealthy kinda asserts a value judgement.
I think of it more in terms of "intrusive" vs. "hands off". I am just fine with social consciousness code which doesn't have viral properties, as a completely separate issue from whether I agree with the content.

I generally dislike having either my greater or lesser consciousness molested ;)

But yeah, power and control... the ideal is to have the bare minimum of this in society, bare minimum which is necessary to prevent a 'power/control vacuum', which would draw in power & control forces from without. Which is to say that anarchy is fleeting, always. But the power & control we tolerate should be as minimal and unintrusive as it possibly can be, without too strongly inviting it's being supplanted.

WildWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WildWolf »

Kath wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm
WildWolf wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:10 pm Many tools have been used to shape the cultural psyche of civilizations throughout history. Religion has historically been a big player. Technology, in particular the internet and cell phones are quite the draw on human focus. I don't like using the polarities of Good/Evil.....as i feel they are extremely crude.

I think of it more in terms of "intrusive" vs. "hands off". I am just fine with social consciousness code which doesn't have viral properties, as a completely separate issue from whether I agree with the content.

I generally dislike having either my greater or lesser consciousness molested ;)

But yeah, power and control... the ideal is to have the bare minimum of this in society, bare minimum which is necessary to prevent a 'power/control vacuum', which would draw in power & control forces from without. Which is to say that anarchy is fleeting, always. But the power & control we tolerate should be as minimal and unintrusive as it possibly can be, without too strongly inviting it's being supplanted.
Making value judgements.....is the only way to choose what paths we follow in life.....so i don't have a problem with that....just that Good/Evil are an not valuable tools when exercising wise discernment. They lack subtlety, are crude and crude language dulls the mind.

I disagree with the notion of having the bare minimum of power & control. A society of should be full of power & control....only it should be decentralized. Every individual must be a tyrant....in there own lives. When personal authority is sacrificed....it flows to another party (Big Government, Corporations, Religion...etc).

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

I don't think there's conspiracy behind it, it's just people being people. Apes being apes.
I think that "opinionated, outraged, self-centred, disillusioned ape" - is a true face of a man. They just suddenly got all these platforms where all like minded can freely (somewhat) band together, so they could preach their truths louder.
That said, our mind and our culture, and our future is now shaped by the "Almighty Omnipresent Algorithm".
I heard a rumour, in China due to state control, TikTok algorithm is configured to promote educational content etc, to try and make population smarter, while for the western audiences algorithm configured to promote girls twerking and buys doing dumb stuff, or something along the lines..
I wonder if there's any truth to it [confused]

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

WildWolf wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:55 pm
Kath wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm

Making value judgements.....is the only way to choose what paths we follow in life.....so i don't have a problem with that....just that Good/Evil are an not valuable tools when exercising wise discernment. They lack subtlety, are crude and crude language dulls the mind.

I disagree with the notion of having the bare minimum of power & control. A society of should be full of power & control....only it should be decentralized. Every individual must be a tyrant....in there own lives. When personal authority is sacrificed....it flows to another party (Big Government, Corporations, Religion...etc).
Well, i meant "centralized power & control".

As for value judgments, we all make them. Though it's useful for each of us to understand that they are utilitarian artifices.

Return to “Modern Era Magicks”